Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by creative concepts, Feb 12, 2002.

1. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

Before I start with my questions, I did do a search for this topic and got a few answers.

I am currently in the market for design software such as Landcadd or the likes and I am not sure which is best for what I need. I have a background in landscape architecture from West Virginia University, own a design/build firm in Northern New Jersey and create an average of 8-10 design plans per year in the $20,000-$50,000 range. I am getting VERY tired of doing all the renderings by hand as it takes up too much of my time. I have tried the less expensive programs such as Complete Land Designer 3D and none of the programs come even close to what I want to do or need to do. I don't need to have a photo type of design done just a blueprint type. It seems like DIG is geared more towards civil engineers than landscapers from what I have read and from the demo I received. I also have a few years of experience with AutoCad and have used it for drawings but it takes time to generate the all the user defined symbols. Any help or input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Landscape Design & Management
  2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using a program called intellicad which is basically a very simplified version of autocad. It works good, and over time you get quick enough so that speed is decent. Best part is you can scan in your title surveys and work off of them for you base plan.

Give me a shout if you want. Would be willing to answer any questions you have.

3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i just went to a seminair today and a rep was there from a company called Garden Graphics out of Canada. They offer software calle Dynascape Pro, it is some of the sweetest software i have ever seen, it takes care of everything for you from blue prints, job estimation, material lists, order form and a bunch of other stuff...its quite expensive, but in my eyes it would be worth ever is the site, check it out u would be impressed at what it can do
  4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was there also. My brother liked that software. :)
  5. MidGALandscaper

MidGALandscaper LawnSite Member

I have searched and read just about every post available concerning design software. I have narrowed it down to DIG or Pro Landscape. What does Pro Landscape offer that DIG does not? Pro Landscape (at $1300) is almost twice as expensive as DIG ($699 for all 3 programs). Can DIG do everything that Pro Landscape can with similar results? Which one creates the most realistic results when doing 3D pics for client? I am going to demo Pro Landscape for 60 days and hopefully make a decision by the end of August.
  6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Landcadd Landscape designer uses Intellicad as its CAD engine. You can add a program called Colorfast to render your plans. Be aware that the rendering requires that you have closed polylines. Without going into detail, it is not the fastest rendering in the world.

Landcadd does have something like 120 plant symbols that are pretty good. There are faster ways of drawing than going through their plant symbol selection process. If you get it, e-mail me.

Basic drafting is the same as ACAD. With your ACAd experience, you will be off and running right away. I would recommend haggling on the price. It worked for me ... in a big way.

I looked at Dynascape and thought it was a very good and user friendly program, but already had the Landcadd. I also work directly from ACAD engineering drawings, and landcadd is already in dwg format.
  7. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

I'm cheap.

I use an autocad compatible program and have drawn some nice symbols. Probably 50 or more.

I'll trade. But if anyone is starting out I'll just help ya out. E-mail me.

But if you're from Indiana you can't have 'em.

We close an incredible percentage of design jobs with these drawings..98% no lie.

BTW invest in an oversize printer for large sheets.

8. MidGALandscaper

MidGALandscaper LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. I was wondering if anyone out there had demoed both programs, DIG and Pro Landscape. Which one is better overall. Pro Landscape at $1300 bucks is making me think long and hard. If DIG is just as good if not better, I will go that road. But if Pro Landscape offers more and is worth every penny, I will invest the $1300.
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Autocad lite is about $ 500, only does 2d, and does not allow for add ons like Landcadd. In all other aspects it is the same as full ACAD. ... just in case you go with a straight CAD program.