1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landcape Estimate questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by emil35, Jun 1, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

I've been doing lawn care for quite some time now and am looking at getting into landscaping. I have a few jobs that want quotes, but I don't know what to do from this point on. I use to estimating lawn care quotes, not landscapes. I figure do a drawing (do I charge for that?), have the drawing approved, find the costs of the materials and add a percentage over the wholesale cost (not sure what that percentage should be?) and state an hourly labor rate...or do I have to quote a labor rate? I know these questions are probably dumb, but I want to get into landscaping and found a great deal on a dingo so I'm pretty much gonna do the work for the dingo to start and hopfully it will take off from there. Thanks in advance.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If your just gonna do the work for the dingo then you will have time to figure out all your mistakes.

Hell I want a profit above the cost of expenses.
  3. cutthegrass

cutthegrass LawnSite Member

How do you charge for Sod if a pallet cost 225, what would you recommend for labor
  4. lpkatsavage

lpkatsavage LawnSite Member

if they go with me then i don't charge for the drawing but if they go with some one else you need to get paid for that time. also a real easy way to bid a landscape job until you get better at it is find out your material cost and double it, but this only works for installs with little prep work.