Landcaping prices in the $25K caregory

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Dec 6, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you that are in the market that deal with larger jobs of $25K and up, how are these normally priced when it comes to planting material, ie, more competitively then smaller residential jobs where 2.5-3 times plant markup or everything remains the same. Reason is I have a job that I designed that is looking like it will fall in the 22-24K range in plants and mulch total and then there are 36 trees that will be transplanted w/ a 90" spade that I'm subbing.

I'm pretty much dealing straight w/ the owner and my price will be the first that he will see and then he will either take it or get a second bid.

I did all design work, found sub for spading and did measurements around the property. So I have a built in 10 hours of extra work here that if I don't get the job I will be getting paid for at least $500 that was spent while I was unable to work due to rain or design time at night when I would have been watching TV since its so late in the year 8pm and after is time for me.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I usually keep all res. props around same $$$ If this is commercial I price slighly higher unless it new and all other work is completed meaning your the last contractor on job so your work will not be disturbed and you don't have other contractors in the way.
  3. nuchdig

nuchdig LawnSite Member
    from oh

My approach to pricing is to double the cost of the plantings plus labor. My guarantee covers the cost of the plant, but not the labor. I feel strongly that we (as a whole) hurt ourselves by cheapening the the value of our abilities through 1) underbidding/lowballing jobs, and 2) overguaranteeing our plantings. These practices bring the industry down to the level of "hillbilly with a dump truck" status. Ask yourself this, "Why do lawyers charge so much per hour?" The vast majority of their work is done by staffers paid pennies on the dollar. Oftentimes the same work can be done by yourself via various services for a third of the price. (Off my soapbox), bottom line is this - don't compete on price. Expect every client to receive multiple bids. Of course price is important. This is where you need to sell yourself. The client needs to believe in you. The client is looking for VALUE. This value is derived from the beauty of the design, the price, and the clients perception of you. Ten designers, given the same project, will produce ten different designs at ten different prices. The x-factor that will give you the edge is how you present YOU. By the time you have sold YOU to the client you should have joked around with the kids, played with the dog, and discussed a common interest with the client (look around the room for photos, trophies, etc. you will find something). In doing so, the client will look forward to receiving your design with the preconceived notion that it will look good - in other words - have VALUE.
  4. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the jobs that we do fall in the ten to fifteen thousand dollar range. We have about four or five a year that will run over twentyfive grand. For those, usually because we order so much plant material for those jobs, we get a bigger discount from the nursery's. What ever the discount is that I get from the nursery, is what I pass on to the high end job. Usually its about ten percent. I point out that ten percent discount on the estimate and tell them why it is there. Usually we end up getting those jobs, cause I think the customer feels like we are being really up front and honest, which we are. And we always have ended up still making a killing on those jobs. You have to give them some kind of a deal, because if they are spending that much money, usually you can be sure they are going to go with the landscaper that they find will have the most value for their money.
  5. idugaholez

idugaholez LawnSite Member

i dont know if you could have said it any better than you did. The only time I give a break, is in the fall or winter, when im lining stuff up for next year. I give a little break for down payments recieved before the new year.