1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landclearing Pics

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by GreenMonster, Apr 5, 2007.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Here's a few landclearing pics from a clear cut we're doing. We don't genearlly do much of this, but it was nice early season work. We're prepping one acre for a tennis court, lawn, small apple orchard, irrigation, and I'm sure there will be some other plantings as well.

My father-in-law is a logger, and he did most of the cutting, we skid out most of the timber with the T190. I subbed out a Hitachi 120 for the stumping.

We chipped a lot of the brush, and also had some hauled out with the stumps.

next, we'll be stripping off all the loam and screening it, then prepping the base for the tennis court.

I should really have some better pictures, maybe I'll get some more when this friggin snow melts. I'll try to keep it updated as we progress if the thread shows any interest.

2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice... how many days this job take you?? hope you have a busy season ahead and best of luck to you!! Would love for more pics.
  3. GreenMonster

from NH

HA! too many days -- about 4. We harvested all the wood though. plus, it was early season work. if this had come along mid season when we were straight out, I would have just subbed out the whole thing to a chipping outfit and had it stumped also.
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

This weather is amazing. It should be raining or storming here. It's not.....the ground is so dry it is cracking and if you put water to it, it will bubble for a long time.......I think this is one of the driest springs in the last 30 plus years. You guys to the east got all the moisture this year........
  5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

RockSet N' Grade Your in the global warming area.They was taking abou it on the radio today.Here tonight it is suppose to be 15 tonight.Plus lots of mud ! Wish i could send you some.:usflag:

Great pics ,keep them coming.Good luck with your project.So is your job covered with snow now? They said it snowed out east.:confused:
  6. GreenMonster

from NH

The place is completely stumped, and the loam has been stripped. The job continues to grow as were talking about more plantings now, an english garden, pergola, possible stone wall, walkway, water feature.

We should be back at things next week prepping the tennis court base and screening the loam.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Clearing spindly trees is a pain in the azz usually for us little trees like that the 160 sized excavator pushes them over rips the stump out and pile it up into a burn pile or pile the trees in a way to cut the stumps off.

One of the local contractors did a teninis court for a local resident it was one of the toughest jobs they have done because of work involved. Dig out all the dirt to bed rock haul in gravel compact it then checking the grades everything has to be absolutly square and level. I forget the exact tolorances they had to meet but I think it had to be within a 1/8-1/4 inch then the concrete contractor did the rest.

As for global warming I call B.S. because this is one of the rainiest years ever it is sure delaying progress on the job I'am working on. We had a rain for 3 days ago had 2 days of sun so I went and did some hauling and the mud started to bleed through the area we are raising up :mad:

Weather report said warm and sunny for the weekend so we thought good can get another couple hundred ton of material moved already have 3000 tons hauled I figure another 500 tons to go. LOL

Looks like you can have a real mud hole on your hands with that job GreenMonster the job looks good !
  8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Mark nice job, i am looking to do more of that type of work this year. what kind if grapple do you have? it looks like a good one. that will be the first new implement i will buy after i decide on the ctl i want.
  9. GreenMonster

from NH

It was a pain in the azz. I may have mentioned this already, but if this came in mid season, it would have been all subbed out. Whereas it was an early season opportunity, we did it ourselves.

Actually, it's not a mud hole at all. Those last pics were right after that 6" of rain over a 24 hour period. It's all sand under the little remaining loam -- with very few rocks.

McKee -- that's a Bobcat brand grapple. It works pretty slick once you get used to it and stop pulling up loam with the brush. Our chipper man wasn't real happy with me the first day, lol.

OBTW, we just decided on an ASV SR-80
  10. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the SR-80, i have pretty much given up on asv. called two dealers, one twice, to set up a demo and neither one has come through. i figure if they can't get me a machine to try and sell me, how they hell are they going to get me a machine when i need service. plus they are so far away it would not be a good thing. i am pretty sure i am going with the 277B. just trying to decide on new or used. it doesn't have the power of the asv i am sure, but the service end with cat is worth it and i know that i will get a good trade in value with the cat dealer when i go to get a new one.

as far as the undercarriage, i ran the gehl and the t-300 for a week. then i just got a used 277B dropped off. it felt so good to get back in something with the suspended undercarriage. sooo smooth and i just dropped it off at the job for monday. i ran it right across the front lawn into the back yard, no plywood. when i walked out front you could not even tell i was there. you will love that undercarriage when it comes to site restoration.