Landed a bid and had a customer tell me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Mar 13, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Landed a bid today. Homeowner was with a larger competitor for 5 years and all of a sudden, last year, was his last. Guy said they were great for those 5 years, but last year, the quality wasn't there. So, now I have the account, and the thing was that I bidded the exact same price for the same services they wanted done. I'm fine with that....I've got a good price and they pay the same.

Anyways...That's just another reinforcement that customers want quality and they will drop you if you don't deliver. He got too big and forgot to pay attention to details I guess. MY account now!!!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good job. I think that is another reason why I went back to solo. Because I felt that the quality was slipping with the number of call backs that I received last year. Nobody likes a call back.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Quality is my number one concern. Superior quality ensure customer satisfaction, and in turn a reliable source of income!

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

As I posted before I don't want to know my competition for eventually I may be bidding on their lawns. I picked up another one today well a few more then one but the one I am thinking of starts off by bad mouthing a competitor and how he has lost all quality and gave me a few examples now I have never met this guy iv heard the name but never seen his trucks. Yet I know have like 5 or 6 of his lawns since last year all with the same complaints.

The main one is the workers them selves they hate having non-English speaking guys on their yard that change week to week. I know it may save you some money on payroll but no thanks I froze my butt off today doing estimates I consider it work and I don’t want to waste my time getting accounts to have some hack employee lose them for me.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, there's always two sides to the story. Maybe the contractor got tired of the guy being a slow payer. Not saying that's what happened. In the past we have picked up customers complaining about other services and in fact the customer was the schmuck.

Whatever the case, the customer is yours now. Hopefully it turns out good. :)

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good point Randy...have to look at both sides of the story before drawing a conclusion