1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landed account being 18% higher than large LCO!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Apr 20, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted all you average LCO's (like myself) that you can beat the big guys. I did just that!

I was 18% higher than one of the largest companies in my area. You see their large trucks, enclosed trailers, signs everywhere.

Reason I got this good account? The women said she liked the way I presented myself along with having the answers to her questions.

Don't let these "BIG" companies scare you off because of their over kill image!!!

I read the bid- they were so cheap on the cutting side. They gave one price which included mulching or bagging.

The lcos that are bringing the rates down are not the smaller ones, it's the big ones with all that debt they carry.

Go get 'em!!!

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

That's good to hear kc. I like to hear a fellow pittsburgher doing good.
    Congrats! :clapping:
  3. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

OOO so your the guy ( just kiddin man) congrats on the milestone.
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I would have to agree that some large compaines are bringing down the prices. I was talking to the president of our HOA the other day and he said they would consider me giving them a bid, but the current provider (largest company in the area - 15+ trucks) gives him such dirt cheap prices it would be hard to compete. He isn't sure why they do it.

I did just win a bid 14.2% higher than the low bidder.
  5. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

Well its good to hear that. The only thing is that along the road, other LCO's are going to be created and they will be the ones competing with you. Thats the viscous cycle with this industry and its lack of barrier to entry.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

kc, so there is a light at the end of the tunnnel...glad it wasn't a runaway freight train!
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

No Rod, but even at speed that kid with the flashlight taped to his bicycle will leave a mark.

Around here it isn't the big guys. sure they provide cutting at ridiculously low prices, but only as part of a full service contract and believe me they get the full amount just tilted to look good.

The bright guys with a beat up truck and beat up mower that last long enough to give a bunch of half price quotes are the ones who are lowering the bar here.

I had a lady call me yesterday looking for me to price match her guy who disappeared. $70 per month for "FULL SERVICE" on her 1/4 acre. And yes that means weed control, hedge trimming and mowing. I was not amused.