Landfill Mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhicks, Apr 30, 2001.

1. dhicks

dhicks Member

The other day while dumping tree branches and grass etc, I see one of the areas larger lawn companies pull up to the mulch pile and loaded about 10 yards of fresh mulch.

For two years in this business I had never once thought about using mulch from the landfill on a client's property. I used some of this same mulch 3 years ago on my OWN property and I have been pulling and killing weeds in my flower beds ever since. Never again would I use county mulch on my property let alone for a paying customer.

I feel the customers are paying top Dollar$ for our service and deserve quality products and not fresh mulch from the dump.

Am I off base here or is this unethical or common just practice? Just wondering.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had customers request "filler mulch" for big open natural areas but I will go to a big tree service and get wood chips. I think worse than the weeds you can infect a yard or home with termites.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If its like the stuff ground at our local landfill its half-rotted already, full of carpenter ant eggs, etc.

No thanks.