landplane for skidsteer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Aug 29, 2009.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Right J. that rake would last about 2 minutes up here in the rock but I appreciate the link. I had one for a tractor and it lasted 1 day before it broke the spring welded teeth and the pivot on the 3pt.

The land plane weighs about 700 lbs. and is built stout for it's weight. I'll check out the deere plane.

2. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

I sent you a private msg. I have 2 used ones in stock. Like brand new. I sent you descriptions and prices. Moving at my cost.

3. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Personally, if I had it to do over again. Or had time to shop, or had a dealer with more selection. I would have gotten a Bradco instead of the Deere.

The deere has a ripper that likes to loose its keeper pin, causing the ripper teeth to flop down when you are back dragging. Its kind of annoying. The deere is built nice though, and if you add the hydraulic set up it the ripper wont flop down.

The bradco has the ripper clear at the back of the unit, and its up out of the way. You use it by angling the plane up, and pressing the back down. Easy way to not need a hydraulic ram.

The bradco also has the finger teeth option, which for me is appealing for sod and seed bed preps. Not so much for gravel road preps though. I am sure they would bend or break in less than 2 seconds. lol

J.

http://www.sweepster.com/product_detail.aspx?ID=433
    http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/cons...idsteer_attachments/skidsteer_landplanes.html

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

YellowDog......I have some thoughts on a landplane. They are awesome for cost of implement to amount of quality work that can be done. A few of the top end landscapers I work for have mini-skids with landplanes and they can out work a skid/bucket or tractor with grading box combo in yards up to 1/2 acre. Landplanes are a slick tool and one that is most often overlooked because it is not fancy, mechanical or hydraulic........one thing it is, is cost efficient and productive.

5. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

It must have been my inexperience showing.:laugh: I just watched this ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Lumdy9pWE and I get it now. I've never used one or saw one in action. It is fairly inexpensive compared to other things and looks like it works well.
    As far as the rake goes. It's built much stronger than the 3 pt tractor models. Trust me,if I haven't broken it yet it's built pretty strong.:laugh: Those rocks that you claim to have down there YellowDog are discarded pebbles from the north.:cool2:

6. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

7. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

That looks more like a bucket with a mesh bottom. Not realy a landplane in my book.

J.

8. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

a couple weeks ago i graded some long driveways using a kubota tractor with their brand land plane. i believe it was frontier brand but could be wrong. i was very impressed with the job it did as well as how fast. a couple passes and i was done. the top n tilt was a great feature one the driveway for maintaing the crown.

9. YellowDogSVC

from TX

it's the flint rock and granite to the north that are problems here. Limestone generally breaks or chips but the bigger parts are the size of vw's and are like an iceberg. If you hit them wrong, you can damage a lot of things. I try and hit the tops with my tooth bucket to chip them. I've spun the turntable on a grader attachment, too. I like the idea of cheap attachment with no moving parts!

10. YellowDogSVC

from TX

cool but the idea of the landplane is like a carpenter's plane. I want to slice and smooth the surface. I like the idea of the chisel teeth but would prefer a flip down. the deluxe landplane I'm looking has the fold down scarifier teeth and as you slice or cut, the dirt moves over the top and back down to the work area.

I plan on using it with a tilt-tatch. should make it very handy