landplane for skidsteer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Aug 29, 2009.

1. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

And it's made in Wisconsin!Thumbs Up

:) Sorry, but I do like having some sort if mesh that would hold the bigger rocks. I would like to add that to the one we have.

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

That's why I was looking at the Bobcat Deluxe landplane. It had the mesh too. JD has the mesh but I've noticed that some do not.

3. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I personally don't like the mesh. It carries to much crap and doesn't let the loose material flow through the tool like a plane with out mesh. Not to mention, with our soils we can't just shake the fines through the mesh. Our soil is way to heavy and thick.

J.

4. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I know this is an old thread but I had a chance to use the JD landplane on a grading job. I am now starting to dislike the mesh but figure it may have its place for holding larger stones. I am thinking of cutting part of it out so that the 2"+ rocks and fines will flow through and then leave about 4"-5" of mesh to catch larger stones.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Bobcat landplane, got little use but damn it it was just awesome at carrying a grade.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I'm finding the JD landplane to be very aggressive. I need more practice. I need to carry a better grade when working base. My bucket just ain't doing it anymore.

7. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Oldie but TTTing it, just cause, what are the latest thoughts on these, any new stars in the lineup??

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My latest thoughts are, I miss my land plane like a long lost 1 night stand spring break girlfriend.

9. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I'm still using the JD. I haven't had time to cut back some of the mesh but I'll probably post a few pics when I do. I just want to let some of the smaller rocks flow through and still catch the bigger ones. We don't have a lot of problems grading wet clay but the clay in the soil can create large clumps that act like rocks when we knock down dirt piles.

10. crusty_crab80

crusty_crab80 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alaska

So this has been a pretty extensive discussion regarding land planes. I am curious, is a land plane (with or without tilt-tach) pretty much the same as a "bobcat soil conditioner"? Other people call this a power rake or rock rake. To me they seem like they pretty much do the same purpose. The soil conditioner is like a fancy powered land plane with moving parts. Meantime the land plane is like a simple non mechanized poor-mans "soil conditioner". Perhaps land planes is slower compared to the soil conditioner.

I have operated soil conditioners but its been quite awhile now. They are awesome. Never used a land plane.

Land plane $1-$2K
    [​IMG]

Soil conditioner (aka rock rake/power rake) $8-10k
    [​IMG]