Landpride Vs Harley

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Grasscub, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Grasscub

Grasscub LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

I am looking at buying a new harley or landpride power rake which is best and what horse power requirement to work properly i think a 60 & 72 ins would suit me best there is also a new Kubota L3200 Manual tractor 32Hp is it any good:hammerhead: : :confused:

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel Boxer and a 60" harley. I have tried the harley and some off brand and the harley was far superior. I say put it on the boxer b/c you can stand on the back and see everything you are doing as well as change the direction of the drum with the flick of a switch. I can work a 1/4acre lot in not time and have it perfectly smooth.

3. Grasscub

Grasscub LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

thanks Southerngreenscapes nice to know from experience how ever there is 2000€ in the difference in price getting demos on both over the next few days on dog rough ground hope to see difference hey how much is a 72in harley in the states :hammerhead:

4. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Never used the Harley so cant say anything about that. I have a landpride 72 running on a Kioti 40hp here in Ireland very stoney ground and have to say have found the Landpride a dream. Only issue I have had is the carbide teeth have lost 6 already and only had the rake 2 months. This is despite us harrowing ground in advance and taking out any large boulders. Apart from that I love it grades nicely and gather plenty of stone leaving a very nice job. Although wish our soil looked as good as what it does on some of the pics I see on here although if it was we prob wouldnt get paid so well to do lawns. Good luck witgh whatever you decide to purchase.

5. Grasscub

Grasscub LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Has anybody else have a problem with carbide teeth comming off a landpride or Harley or any other teething problems and are they easy to repair :confused:

6. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Very easy to repair just buy replacement teeth and weld them on. Dont forget here in Ireland we have tonnes of stones to deal with not like what you have in the states well am only going by pics posted on here never see many stones at all.

7. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I tore up a harley rake on four new lawns, just raking the chert rocks and occasional larger stones and bricks. It seems flimsy compared to the Bobcat brand rake I rented. I tend to be hard on equipment though.

8. Grasscub

Grasscub LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Had a harley demo from my local dealer with a 35Hp branson For a couple of days tried it on a no of sites the machine is very robust well engineered and to me looks way stronger than the landpride.It worked a dream on loose fresh soil but on a builders site and it was very hard and compacked it did a good job raking up all the shite you get after builders found it good at grinding down hard compacked areas it looks like the machine for me thank you all for your views on the harley on thing is though it can get very dusty:rolleyes:

9. warby

warby LawnSite Member

I've had a harley for over 2 years. I lost 4 carbide teeth in the first week - nothing since. I have hit some pretty mean rocks since.

Tips on maintaining your harley;
    Replace front castor wheel bearings & hub seals every 6 months. They tend to fill with dust and start to wear the inner hubs. Cheaper to replace bearing than hubs.

Always check U bolts for tightness, and make sure they are clean (around the threads). They tend to oxidize. I use CRC every now and then.

The last thing is, when I tighten the U bolts for any reason, I tap the back with a hammer as I'm tensioning the nut. This helps bed everything together.

Good raking.

10. Grasscub

Grasscub LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Thanks Warby
    Great Advice what tractor unit are you using and are you from Australia