Landsape Degree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rookie03, Aug 16, 2005.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Who has a Landscape Design Degree? Or Landscape Architect Degree? How important is having the degree when looking to work for a Landscape Company?

Also, if anyone can give me any specifics on colleges or programs for landscape design/architect I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you want to do? There is a big difference between a Landscape Architect and a Landscape Designer. Most LA's work on larger and more detailed projects than an LD. In NJ an LA must have a degree, been an apprentice for a licensed LA, then take a test that has been described as being equal to the bar exam for lawyers. Then you get a license and can be officially called a Landscape Architect. An LD can be anyone that wants to design landscapes, regardless of education or experience. We do not have schools that offer a degree in Landscape Design, but offer degrees in many aspects of horticulture with an emphasis on design. Most residential landscapes are handled by designers here. Whether you have a degree or not, education is the key to success and prosperity. That education can be on the job training or, schools, seminars AND on the job training. The knowledge you gain in the field can never been read in a book. The books will give you a very broad view of a huge industry and you need to decide where to follow.

Rutgers has a good LA program, but better professional education courses for designers and landscaping. They also offer a 2 year intense program in turf, if you want to excel in the golf industry. I'm sure there are local programs in your area. Check community colleges and the state schools.

Kirk

3. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

You dont need a degree to say your a landscape designer.
    BUT to call yourself a landscape Architect you will need to be licensed through the state you do business in. And to become licensed you have to complete a landscape architecture program at a university.

I will graduate next may with a degree in Horticulture specializing in Landscape Design. I will not have any special papers saying I am a landscape designer though. Typically a landscape designer has much more experience/ knowledge of plant materials whereas a landscape architect focuses on a much wider array of designing elements.

Many landscape companies need good designers and they do look to universities such as mine to recruit new hires. However, you could teach yourself and be much better than the rest of us if you where modivated enough.