landscape and hardscape

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigd1634, Sep 10, 2006.

1. bigd1634

bigd1634 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what you need to do these in New Jersey. Other then the basics for landscaping, do you need a license or anything for laying fertilizer. I know that you need something else for pesticides but does fertilizer fall under that. For hardscaping I have heard that you can do a wall that is less than 4 feet tall. Can you also lay pavers for driveways and walkways, or do you need another cert. from the state?
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Not from Jersey, but on the fertilizing side or this, most states require the Herbicide/Pesticide License to apply them. Granted, if you are fertilizer only, then it is not needed, but that means that you cannot apply any weed control (Roundup) or Pre-Post Emergence applications, legally...
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

before you get into hardscaping....PLEASE take a few classes, or sub out the first few jobs and watch.... there is a lot more to pavers then people think...

a screwed up paver job will only help depress the paver prices in your area...
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to do a search. The topic about how crazy NJ is on licenses has been discussed many times in recent months. From what many of the lcos on here say, its a hard BS filled process. Good Luck!!