Landscape and Irrigation Magazine

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I just got this months issue of Landscape and Irrigation in. In the editors letter, it shows a picture of a irrigation display at a trade show.

In this picture, you can clearly see "swing joints" made of 3 PVC glue el's.

I thought only the home depot hacks did that? :laugh:

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL... Can't wait until they try and swing it into position. :dizzy:

3. PurpHaze

How about this galvanized/Marlex swing joint??? I found it in the "Beauty Shots" section of the Rain Bird site. :p

Rainbird Galvanized Swing.jpg

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

im no irrigator, but i have a interest in it, and have done a few plumbing projects. Doesnt galvanized have trouble sealing to plastic pipe in general??

5. CAL-LANDSCAPER

CAL-LANDSCAPER LawnSite Member

Hayes - Looks like a 'plumber' did a repair :rolleyes:

6. PurpHaze

Known a few of them in our lives. :p

7. PurpHaze

A gal/PVC connection would require taping/doping to seal the threads. The black els in the picture are Marlex which is a softer material. If it is adequately threaded into/onto galvanized or PVC threads it seals without Teflon tape or dope.

8. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i usually use dope on gas lines, but try to use tape on galvanized water lines, not sure why just the luck ive had.

9. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

We've always said as a general rule you can screw plastic into metal but not metal into plastic, even though we dont usually mix pipe.

10. PurpHaze

Not a bad general rule but one that is broken on occasion. When we build a QC swing joint the last nipple is always galvanized instead of SCH 80. It's stronger and doesn't back out of the last PVC threaded 90 on the swing joint quite as easily.

In the olden days plumbers would run PVC pipe and then make semi-swing joints out of galvanized. Guess they were just looking at getting the sprinkler set properly the fisrt time and didn't care that their swings froze up after that.