1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landscape Architects

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Youngbeginner, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Youngbeginner

Youngbeginner LawnSite Member

Have any of you ran into problems needed a landscape architect to design a plan, certify a plan, or sign off on a landscape for any reason?
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, don't see much need for LA's for what *I* do. As an LHD major (Purdue as well :waving:), I (or other designers) can do just about all of the design work I need.

While there are several exceptions to the rule, most LA's I've run into have very little practical experience in the field (IOW, don't hardly know their a$$ from the hole you just dug). On big (100k or more) landscape installs (yes, I've headed a few of them up), then a design firm is fine, usually because they are more equipped to handle the changes that are *always* needed. For most of our 20-50k jobs, a designer is fine, no LA needed.

Engineers, while almost as worthless, are needed from time to time to stamp retaining wall installs. ;D

Sorry, don't take this as a jab to you or LA's. Like I said, there are exceptions. I just personally don't have much need for them in what *I* do.
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

The things with LAs is that its hard to fine one that just designs and doesn't do installs also.

I am looking at a job right now that is most likely going to be in the 125k+ range. I want to use a LA just because their is so much to consider on a large job. Its so much easier to get a bid on irrigation and lighting when you have a detailed plan to work off of.

However, i do want the LA to use my basic concept. Maybe just refine it a little bit.

I could manage without a LA. But, a detailed plan, leaves no surpises at the end of the job for either the contractor or home owner.

Ofcourse it is one thing lining the LA up yourself and discussing you idea with them, vs getting stuck with a plan from a crappy LA hired by the HO.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt- why do you need an LA for that? A good designer should be fine. My biggest job so far is just a tad over $300K and there's no one with the last name "architect" involved.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I guess since almost all designer owns their own installation companies. I am going to do my research and try to find one though. I will need a engineer to stamp the retaining wall drwaing.

Basically, i know how i want to do the job, just need someone to put it on paper and come up with a plants plan.
  6. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

A landscape architect that does a few designs for me is pretty squared away. And he has field experience. No complaints from me!