1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landscape Audit...Commercial Bids???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AAATreeLandscape, Feb 4, 2003.

1. AAATreeLandscape

AAATreeLandscape LawnSite Member
    from MA

Read a post before on calling up Commercial Accounts and asking for a landscape audit to get a look at previous contracts. Cant find the post but I wanted to know if any of you have tried this. If you use any other methods of getting commercial bids please post them. Thanks!
  2. AAATreeLandscape

from MA

Anyone... I think the post was from Nillson?
  3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the others may have thought your post was a joke post, like I did. Now you've explained why it really was a joke ;)

I don't know if any of my clients would believe a "Landscape Audit" is something real, and they certainly wouldn't bother to take any of their busy time to dig out old maintenance proposals to show to random people walking through the door.

And who cares what those other proposals say, you need to provide the services at your prices so that your company can meet it's goals. Doesn't matter what the other companies are charging.

My clients may give you the bid specifications if they were looking for another provider, but not the other bids or contracts.
  4. AAATreeLandscape

from MA

It went something like this:

"Hi this is John with abc landscape co and were doing audits on your last years landscape contracts to see if we can save you some money. If you could fax over the information to our office we will send someone over to walk the property and if we can save you some money we will submit a free estimate...no risk...no obligation."

I think someone just starting out with commercial accts. could use others bids to help them learn the system. That way they don't screw themselves underbidding and gives them a sense of the market.

Any others tried this???
  5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

How would my bid help you determine your price point:dizzy: ? If that is the case, just send a note saying ABC Lawncare will guarantee that we will beat your current contract rate by 5%. To be sucessful in any business, you must understand your cost structure. Your cost structure is more than gas and oil. Also, be careful with customers that are in current contracts faxing them to you. In most states, tortous interferance is grounds for a lawsuit against you.

Good Luck!

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

So basically your saying let me look at last years bid and I'll low ball them.

Most company's will throw away bids after a contract is signed. They will probably have last years contract though.
    If they are happy with the service they will stick with the same company, if not its fair game to anyone.

The real kicker is when your like me, I am the only licensed lawn guy in town, thats right no other lawn guy has a license. I go bid an account and I get under bid and the low ballers are not providing the same service as I am, or they are breaking the law by doing apps. Its apples and oranges. It sucks!

But if I was the person in charge and you came in to me with that line, and I was happy with what I had been receiving. I would remember you and you would not be invited to bid or I would throw yours out first.

Your better off to walk in sit down and BS with them for a few and see if you can give an honest bid.

Remember a privet owned company can do what it wants, and a government agency does NOT have to go with the low bidder. (contrary to popular belief) Its all in the specifications.

Just my thoughts and I could be wrong (but not likely)

7. Kingspointe

Kingspointe LawnSite Member

fax machine soliciting is hated by most and I believe there is some laws pertaining to it in certain states
  8. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

That is a dirty way to do bussiness, if you want to get the work earn it. Do not resort to the hated low-ball methods. These tactics only serve to drive all prices down. Do you want to make less money on the same account next year?? That is what you are doing to the company doing the work now.

9. Creative One

Creative One LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

What I would do is simply send a nice professional letter to selected businesses that you have targeted as companies you would like to do business with. I bought some templates from the lawn site store, sent one out that I modified a bit to 100 businesses. I have to date, received 20 calls for requests to submit proposals. If I get 5 of those jobs I will be happy. If one of my clients showed another LCO one of my proposals, I would just assume not do business with them. I feel that is very unethical and not a good business practice at all.