Landscape Bed Help

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by HartselleLawnEnforcement, Dec 29, 2011.

1. HartselleLawnEnforcement

HartselleLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

Guys:

I've got a bed in the front of my house that needs some work. The bed is in the shade most all day.

Zone 7

The only thing we want to stay is the nice Japanese maple. If the azalea at the base of the maple can be kept, we'd like it to be kept too, but it doesn't matter.

So for those of you that know more about plant selections and what goes well with what, I need your guidance. If you want to use some software to do some design work, i've attached some pictures.

THANK YOU in advance for your help!

20111229_152941.jpg

20111229_152955.jpg

20111229_152941.jpg

20111229_152955.jpg

2. ryan alyssa

ryan alyssa LawnSite Member

So are you just talking about where the red maple is or the whole front

3. HartselleLawnEnforcement

From just left of the front door (where the downspout is) to the far left of the picture.

4. ryan alyssa

What shrubs are those left of the door yoos

5. HartselleLawnEnforcement

ugly. hahaha. just kidding, I'm not sure, I think it's some kind of boxwood..?

6. ryan alyssa

Hmm with out seeing it up close mabey take out the three shrubs to the left of the door and dig up the leryope mabey a formal hedge in between the windows take out the brick edging split up and transplant the leryope and plant a mass of it on the left corner where it is bare. Carve a nice flowing edge around the bed bringing it out away from the house some and even an arborvite in front of the right side downspout. Looks like the red maple may be getting a little big mabey cutting it back some. Top it off with a good quality brown mulch and mabey even a light or two and there you have it. Relatively inexpensive. I am not really sure about the hedge thing though going to have to think about that one

7. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

I would keep the azalea at the base of the maple but I would cut the azalea 3/4 to a 1/2down.And rip everything else out but the Japanese maple.And do 5 China Boy Holly's along the house and have the middle one out further. And do 4 Center Glow Ninebarks 2 on each side of the middle holly. And do a few Raspberry Splash Lungworts thrown in for color.

8. ryan alyssa

That's also a good plan

9. HartselleLawnEnforcement

Should I get rid of the monkeygrass? seems like it would look cleaner without it.

10. HartselleLawnEnforcement

I agree on the cutting back of the Jap. Maple. I was thinking the two outer trunks need to be cut off and the top needs to be cut down lower?