Landscape bed on a 444E

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawn Enforcer, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Hello everyone-
    Next year I will need to start looking for a new mowing set-up. There is a dealer about 50 miles from my house that sells medium duty trucks. They always have nice trucks at sweet prices. Right now they have a 1998 International T444E LoPro diesel with an Allison auto. I don't know the exact mileage, but it is around 100k. They want $16,950 for one. I would put a 12 foot landscape bed on it for my daily mowing route. I would also still have my truck and trailer in case of breakdowns. Would this be an efficient and economical rig? I LOVE the idea of the landscape bed on a truck. It would probably be carrying the trimmers, blowers, etc. plus a 52" Everride Scorpion, a 34" Everride Scorpion FX, and then a push mower. I have heard nothing but great things about the 444E.
    Thanks in advance for all you help!

2. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Bed? Its overpriced without a bed, with a dump bed its border line. BTW 444E is the engine, not the truck. Its the same thing as the 7.3 l powerstroke in the older fords. Generally well respected engine, I have driven a couple, not many as I am not a Ford guy. Good engine good torque. Whats the gvw, and gearing? Will it require a CDL with a trailer? Look at truckpaper.com for a comparison. For reference there is a 2002 IH 4300 dump w/ 45000 miles, dt466 engine (better in many peoples opinion for $24k. Theres lots of guys here that know these trucks well so I am sure someone will have something to add.

3. Lawn Enforcer

It doesn't require a CDL.Thanks for the reply, keep 'em coming!

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

why do need a truck this big why are you changing from a truck and trailer? I would just find a used isuzu with a landscape body they should be around 15 large for 100k miles and a landscape body.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would prefer an Isuzu for mowing lawns. The IH look kind of bulky for a lawn route... if you were hauling a skid steer the IH might be more practical.

6. Lawn Enforcer

Well, the thing is I want to be able to pull a dump trailer/skid steer with it too. I looked at the truck last night, and it really didn't look too big. I want to be able to use my 1500 for spraying lawns and the IH for mowing. Plenty of power, no suspension mods needed.

7. Lawnworks

from usa

I saw a landscape body for $1200 on craiglist... I think it was in FL though.

8. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

What I meant by the cdl comment was depending on the gvw of the truck it may limit what you can pull and still be under 26,000 lb gross combined.

9. Lawnworks

from usa

You know the perfect set-up for you would be a cabover or IH w/ a stake dump bed and removeable dovetail. Somebody makes those out there on the net.

10. Lawn Enforcer

That's what I mean. I can find a landscape body pretty easily, and those trucks are readily available at this place. I also think I would drive a mini skid steer up on the bed too. Does anybody have any idea of what kind of mileage that I would get with that set-up I had in my first post?