Landscape Bed on a Pickup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Can-Do Lawn Care, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Can-Do Lawn Care

Can-Do Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have been looking real hard at getting a larger (3/4 or 1 ton) p/u and putting a 16' landscape bed on it. Like the one in the picture. [​IMG]

My questions are:
    How much would a 16' foot bed like that weigh?
    Would it be too much for a 3/4 ton, (the truck in the picture is a 1 ton)?
    What is the average payload for 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck (ballpark figure)?
    I am trying to figure out how much I can carry on it.

2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Picture isn't showing up, but I don't think a 16' bed is going to work very well. Go w/ a GMC or Izuzu cabover. You could put a shorter bed on it like some people here have recently done. Search the truck and trailer forum.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have been researching this my self. a 2007 chevy 3/4 ton has a gvw of 9200 truck with 6L gasser weights in around 4500 w/0 bed. figure about 1500-2000 in metal weight for a 12 ft bed ad maybe another 500lbs for 4 more feet that gives you about 2200 lbs of carrying capacity. the one ton actually will carry less.
    the smallest cab over isuzu is 12500 gvw and it weighs in at 5800 c/c plus the bed =8300 giving you 4200 payload. The price difference is very little.

4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I have 2 isuzu npr landscape trucks for sale with 16 foot beds. If your interested call me at 845-897-5296

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Could you pm me more specifics and some pictures? Thank you.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Bed weight may be more like 1000 to 1200 LBS. Depends on the the materials used.

I am toying with some sort of idea for my International L150 that is in great shape.

7. Can-Do Lawn Care

8. Can-Do Lawn Care

I'm looking at ford's site and they list the 2007 f350 superduty crew cab lwb 2wd gvwr at 13000# and the payload at 5700#, which if i understand correctly means the truck itself w/ the factory bed weighs 7300#. So assuming a weight of 1500# for the landscape bed, the carrying capacity would be 4200# minus whatever the factory bed weighed. I think that would be more than enough capacity. I could put a couple of 61" Scag TT's (at 1350# each) or another combination of 2 or 3 mowers and still have weight to spare.

9. Can-Do Lawn Care

Sorry i meant plus

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Glad you caught it. I was going to point that out. Removal of factory bed plus any additional weight of flatbed would be your payload. 5700# is quite a payload.

For this assumption say new weight would be 5,000#