Landscape body for truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Indiana, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have thinking of getting rid of my 16' landscape trailer and putting a landscape bed on my one ton. Like the ones on these Isuzu NPR's that are around.

Anybody done this? I know they make landscape bodies for one tons. I got a Trader today. I have a Walker C and a 48" Kees that I would put on it.

I think it would make it easier to get into tight spots w/o the stupid trailer.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure you think about all of the pros and cons before you make the decision. It will be easier to maneuver your truck around, yes but think of these benefits the trailer gives you:

Holds all your equipment so your truck bed can haul debris or planting/landscape material, etc.

It will take longer to get your equipment on and off than it would with a trailer.

But like you said, if you have to get into some tight places it may be better without a trailer.

I think it depends on your focus of work. If your into mostly maintenance and you don't do much hauling or landscape work, than go with the bed, if not the trailer has to stay!

A friend of mine rushed into selling his trailer in the spring and started loading his equipment into his 1 ton rack/dump body, and when it got close to fall he realized he had no way to put his leaf box on and haul his mowers and blowers, etc.

You know your business best though, so you'll make the right call. This was just a couple things to think about.

Hope this heped!

3. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

My suggestion would be to get the landscape body truck and keep the trailer. That way you can always have the trailer to haul stuff or the truck bed to haul stuff. Also, if your truck goes down you still have a trailer to haul your equipment around attached to a rented pick up truck.

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

What size landscape body would fit on a one ton pickup?

5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have a one ton cab and chasis. My wheelbase is 109" so I have a nine dump on it right now. I think the pick-ups will only take a 9 footer. I guess....

I have done a little checking and looks like 10' is the smallest these come unless you go custom. $$$

I have two trailers a 16' landscape, and a 10 utility. I use the 10' to haul mulch, large surge stone, etc... Also can load my walker and wk behind on that. It's just too small for everything (Trimmers, trim mower, etc...) It serves me well as a second trailer and easier to haul mulch on that. The truck has tool boxes on the dump bed. Like side boxes. One box is 2'x2'x8' and the other is 18"x18"x4'. I have side boards that build all this is and enable me to pick-up leaves, mulch and all.

The past two years though I have had trouble turning around. Tight driveways, steep roads, and vehicles in the way. We are really rural so our roads are real narrow as well.

Anyway, I like the mulch on a trailer 'cause I can get more on the trailer than my truck on account of those boxes. The boxes carry my wenches, blowers, hedgetrimmer, and mixing oil. The small box holds all pesticides and chemicals.

I still have to figure out what to do with leaves in the fall. I have a truck loader that I shoot the leaves in the dump bed. I have a mesh cover to throw over the top to hold it all in. Works good.

I also have a '83 chevy p/u to use if I need it. I know there is no perfect set-up for everything. I have tried lots of alternatives except the landscape body.

6. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

7. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

indiana, thats a nice setup, what all do you have on that, i saw the 2 dixies and the toro wb. What else do you have on that? thanks

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Getmow is that an old car hauler? looks like the long wheelbase truck like on the car carriers (very nice setup) very professional looking by the way.

9. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

On that day there were 2 D/C's the Toro WB, a 21" toro trim mower, trimmers,blowers,gas,tools,spare tires for mowers etc.
    BTW it is an old ambulance chassis that I had the bed installed on.

10. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

oops my bad, looked at the wrong post. Getmow*