landscape buildup, need advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kevinlane, Jul 2, 2007.

1. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

Ok pros, I need some input on this one. I have to do an estimate on a lawn buildup, rr ties and sod. The area is about 6' wide by 300' long and a slope of about 3 to 4 feet deep. I will need dirt fill to build up and rr ties as a wall. Then sod and filling in an old pond not in use. Some other trimming back of a few flowers and plants. I have no idea where to start. I can do this, but may need some labor help. I can get pics tomorrow if that will help. Or.....should I just say no. This will be a regular monthly service on the grass...The only reason why I want to do the job. Big $$ on this one.

2. kevinlane

no one wants to touch this one i see... LOL
  3. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

25yds of topsoil= $3000
    1,800sqft sod = $1,800

This is a start for you.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Not sure what your question is. Just figure out what you'll need and go do it. Only you can gauge how long it will take you to do it. I would definitely get a helper for this one. But yeah, I would do it. Sounds fairly straight forward.
  5. kevinlane

Ejd, would that include labor or should I calculate that into the toatal? Your figures are pretty close to what I was looking at plus the rr ties and rock to fill in the pond. Am I gettin warm, brutha? Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
  6. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

I couldn't tell you what the prices are in your area but you need to calculate the amount of fill you need to backfill 3/4 minus gravel at least 6" below the RR ties up to 6" below the top of the wall all along the wall for drainage along with perf pipe. Then I would fill will 80% sandy loam and then top soil on top of that.

Calculate your man hours to build the wall, cost of materials, cost to move & back fill the gravel, then sandy loam, then top soil. Rental of tractor or bobcat...cost of Sod and man hours to lay it...etc...etc.
  7. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

My prices include the labor. I think mancinioldhorse is right with the wall. That would be out my realm. Sorry I can't help with the wall pricing.