Landscape contracting businesses all terminate in 10 years

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdvaden, Jul 7, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the deal.

If illegal immigration supporters succeed in amnesty and allowing the illegals to remain in the USA, which basically overtakes federal law, then state law will be even easier to overtake.

So if your state requires a landscape contracting license, it probably won't require a license or credentials in 10 years if illegal immigrants succeed at circumventing federal law.

Doesn't that seem feasible.

Landscape maintenance and work, or agriculture seems to them like pollen to busy bees, so landscape installs would be icing on the cake.

How many of you have developed business plans for folding your business in 7 to 10 years?

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

In my opinion it would only be a paper thing.They are already here and no one is making them leave so legal or not the laws are already being ignored.

One Positive is if they decide too grant them citizenship then they also will have too pay taxes.
    So in my Market it will force wages up so companies that have been benefiting with using illegal immigrants will know have too compete evenly with legitimate companies.

Also in Ga we have no State Mandated Licensing in the Landscape industry so what you are describing runs Rampant in Ga.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

So in my Market it will force wages up so companies that have been benefiting with using illegal immigrants will know have too compete evenly with legitimate companies.
    I see the opposite happening.How many of us got minority owned business grants from the federal goverment?Well,all of these new "minoritys" will qualify as Disadvantaged Minority Business Owners(yes there are fed grants and preferences given to this group).So,what you'll see is the ,presently illegal population ,starting their own landscape/construction/cleaning/etc.,, business' with your money.They'll be given preferences on every state and federal contract,due to the minority factor,and current citizen owned business' will be pushed aside.It's kinda ironic that an industry that lauds how hard illegals work and that they're "needed" will be undone by the very ones they employee.

4. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't have to have a license in Texas and if you throw stick you'll hit a Mexican. So I'm not so sure about your 10 year prediction.

All I know is that if you need day labor, you go down to one of the many work force locations or to one of the many pickup spots scattered throughout DFW and you can have all the day labor that you need. One place they'll work for 7.50 another you can't get anyone to jump in your truck for less that 10.00 an hour.

If they were not there I'd be bitching at some lazy ass white kid or trying to resucitate some brother that don't know the meaning of earning a dollar. Not to mention the cigarette breaks.

So it may not break down to benefit the country as a whole but here in North Texas one of the strongest economies in the country, if we didn't have mexicans we would not be were we are. If you don't have mexicans construction will stop

A few weeks back when on Mexican day when they all took the day off. You should have seen the roads around here. It's all pretty much construction anywhere east of dallas off I-30 and on that day it was light.

So anyway back to the labor camps, when you pull up at one place you just get swarmed. You have to weed through the dummies and the occasional hung over white guy yourself. Another place is ran by the city. You get in line like at McDonalds or should I say Taco bell and this dude will come up to your truck and ask, how many, what for and how much. You select the guys you want and they climb in. Good workers are usually easy to spot.
    1st they are cool.
    They wear a cap, good boots and jeans.
    A good one will usually have his sack lunch in hand.
    after a while you learn to spot hard workers.*newusflag*

Besides Mexican Americans not only like to get into gang fights, they love flowers and music and girls named Debbie too.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I see what you are saying...and it is happening here already. I have no plan for closing shop in 7-10 years, but time will tell. I hope not to still be in the maintenance business by then. I guess I will be worried when these guys can actually communicate the same as I can with a client, go to night school and get a horticulture degree like I did, design a landscape and sell a job like I can, build up the same clientele and contacts that I have, and figure out how to run a profitable business like I have.

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

Georgia is full of Illegal Mexican contractors.
    As of know I pay for there schooling and most of there Health care.
    At least if they would were leagl I would only be paying for there Buisness.
    And on that point they will then have too compete with me on even ground.
    I will take my chances.

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 LawnSite Member

Simple ,don't hire them they will go home on thier own. Jail any employer hireing them, like 5yrs. per illegal , and confiscate thier business . Why are a lot of American citizens good enough to go to war but not hire? People who can't run thier business legaly should go get a job with some one else.:usflag:

8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

You did seem to see what I was saying.

One, part of the thread intent is partially humorous (and I didn't even drink or smoke anything when I wrote it :) )

I'm referring to these guy owning their own businesses; UNLICENSED. Because if they can (using masses) circumvent federal law, they could do it on a state level, circumventing license tests and requirements.

Even if they did get a license, no, they don't have to pay taxes. If they work under their own personal name, if the checks are written to them, they can go to the bank and just cash it under the radar. That's what happens without a DBA name or incorporation.

Some offer cash discounts for cash payment. I just put a water feature in, where the hispanics hauling a brush pile were asked if they wanted cash. They said yes. I don't know if they were legit or not, but it reminded me that they can evade taxes very easy.

9. AWJ Services

from Ga

Neither do I.
    Once they are legal they will Fall under the same Tax rules as any other American.

I guess I took it more serious than others because I live and work in Atlanta were it is very common.
    You cannot hardly find any non Mexican Stone contractors here any longer.

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Screw amnesty.....we went to wars and fight all the time for what we have and it should not be given to ANYBODY illegal. There is a legal process, though it does need improvement. Democrats especially have no backbone on the issue and stand beside them in the capitol. Life may suck in their country and I don't blame them for wanting a better life for their family but there is a process. If you're legal fine, if not well then do whats right or get out. Lifes not easy but don't come to my county waving your flag and asking for amnesty..........that is all.*newusflag*

-And the biggest BS is "we have to have them for these jobs"..........that is only the issue in larger metro areas where education and opportunity are presented to you at a wage that allows you to live life off the farm so to speak. I grew up not in a large metro area and now live in the middle of northern VA.........back home people work because they want to support their family regardless of $5.25hr or whatever. Society is not and never will be an even playing field, some will be higher, some lower and without that any countries economy will be destroyed.