1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Landscape Design Help In Ohio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MiksLawncare, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MiksLawncare

MiksLawncare LawnSite Member

Hey there i have been in business for about 1 year coming up this march. I got more business then expected and i am getting a few commercial jobs this year. I was wondering if anyone would know where there would be a landscape design class that would teach me the basic fundementals? I have a computer program now but its just not the same as learning how to design from the ground up. Any help would be highly appriciated. Im in the general cleveland area if that helps.

2. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

a local community college

3. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Look for a branch of ohio state

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Everywhere you go take a camera ...and get snap happy.
    Workout what looks good,what doesnt, and why.
    Figure out what plant material looks good, what doesnt, What textures work, sizes, color etc etc.
    If you arent sure what plant is what walk around nurseries until you do.

5. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

Go to school. You'll learn more in a month than you will in ten years of listening to kootoomootoo.

6. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I learned more with hands on than i ever did at the ATI in wooster, they just prepare you a little for the real world. You have to be artistic anyway, or the designs will never come together. Plus you need to know your plants well and how they thrive. College can teach you about the plants, but so can differt nurseries if you take the time to learn.

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah far bettr to regurgitate from a text book, Take a few multi choice tests and still have no clue.

LET ME GUESS: You are also ICPI certified. Hence my point.

Ok you have been at school a month ...what have you learned ....
    Except for taking pics of your "equipment".

swihartbs.jpg

8. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

well for what it is worth i took p.c.d.i and learned alot some say what they want but learned alot and nobodies .02 can stop that i think it was well worth i like hands on combined with books i think all of either leaves you short changed