landscape design help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by agr682, Jul 23, 2007.

1. agr682

agr682 LawnSite Member

I am trying to design a landscape for a client that has just built a mediterranian style house. I usually design my landscapes for brick and stone houses. I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or suggestions as far as what type of plants to use or do I just landscape it like I would any other house. We are near Nashville, TN, so palms and native looking Mediterranian plants would not work well.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting, I don't really have any expirience with any Mediterranian style stuff. Just looking at it, aborvates, japenese barberry and yucca plus some lava rock are coming to mind.
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't have to necessarilly reproduce a Mediteranean landscape unless that is what the homeowner wants.

No matter what style yo do, I think that you should visually separate this house from the houses next to it or it will look very out of place. Definitely place a grouping of trees to screen that beauty to the left of it.

Once you isolate it it can be landscaped as an entity of its own with less regard to what is going on around it. If you don't, the clash of styles with what is going on around it will dominate the attention of those who see it and will take away from any good landscape you build within it.

You don't have to entirely scree the neighbors out, but make some significant diversions where no one pays attention to what is beyond the property. Taller trees toward the area you want to minimize often work well because they create something substantial which creates a foreground in front, makes themselves the middleground, and puts the neighbors in the background. Adding a shrub layer behind the trees strengthens this significantly.

Build color into the foreground along the sides, but leave it out of the background. Then you own the landscape on the house and through the middle of the site where you can do what you want.

Dwarf fruit trees, a grape arbor, urns, statues, wrought iron fencing, rectangular front piazza (patio), low wide hedging, don't get curvy, think grid (but not necessarily symetrical), build a space in front of the house by adding to the perifery. You want that patio area (even if it is only used to pass through) to feel like the heart of that front yard. You don't want a focal point, but a focal area and that is that 20'x20' area in front of the middle of the house.

That is just one way to look at it. You can really do anything, but definitely isolate it visually.
  4. agr682

agr682 LawnSite Member

thanks for the suggestions, I really like the squared approach and the focal areas along with a piazza.