Landscape Design Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chris J, May 30, 2008.

1. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

OK, here is some pictures of my yard that I was telling you about. As you can see, it is a blank slate and I really want to landscape it to the max. If any of you guys are willing to help out with some landscape design, I would appreciate it very much.
    I don't know why the blue print at the bottom is coming out so small. I'll try to fix that and re post it.

home blue print.jpg
  2. Chris J

By the way, the small existing patio at the back door will soon be enlarged to cover the entire back of the house. It will be a 20' x 30' slab with a screen enclosure.
  3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I think you need like a bird house on a pole, maybe some tomato plants. I'll start working on some sketches.
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

well lets start with a pool, then add some palms on either side for a framing effect, wax myrtles, crape myrtles, and all that fun stuff then light the hell out of it! Done and done.
  5. Chris J

Although I'd like to have a pool right away, that is probably going to have to wait for a while. Right now, I want to create a plan that includes a pavered fire pit area, water feature with falls and possibly a gazeebo. The rest will be plants and trees for now. I'm thinking about an arbor to cover the patio insted of screen enclosure. There will also be a jacuzzi somewhere in this layout.
  6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Save yourself a little trouble and include that jacuzzi and water feature in your future pool, that way you only do it once and it takes your pool to the next level.
  7. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I second that motion. Design should be based around pool/water feature(s)
  8. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

When you say water feature with a falls, do you want a pond at the bottom of the falls for fish, etc.? Or would your rather just have the effect of the falls?

I would do your complete site design revolving around the future pool, but still put in the elements you want to enjoy now if you feel the pool is too far off.

Tim is the man when it comes to water features and falls.

Here is the link to a pond, waterfalls and flagstone that I just completed. You might get a couple little ideas.
  9. Chris J

That water feature is awsome. I'd like to have something like this, just maybe not quite that large. A small version of it, perhaps, at the end of a nice stone or paver pathway. The pool is much too far off for me to wait. I'd rather create a plan now around a water feature of some sort, but the pool I'll eventually want is not in my budget at the moment and won't be for a couple of years.
    I belive Tim offered to create a plan for me, but I'll have to wait too see who is willing to help a brotha out. I just need a layout that I can use as a guide so that I can do this step by step as time/money permits. Thanks again to everyone who is willing to help.
    By the way, I think it's the effect of the falls and sound of the water that I am most interested in but I'm not ruling out the idea of a pond as well. I guess it just all depends on how it lays out in the overall design. I had a thought of a large boulder in the center of the patio area with water flowing from the top of it down into a pondless catch basin. I think something like that would be a nice conversation piece for the patio area, but I'm just thinking out loud right now. I really have no clue as this is not my area of expertise. I'm really hoping someone with a lot of experience with landscape design will give me a good plan. I'll return the favor somehow (with money if needed).
  10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Chris,
    Been busy with installs and am just catching up on some entries. I will help you with the design, no problem. Is there a possibility of getting a plat of your house and property together. I will need an accurate measurement of something on it so I can scale it properly, (measurement of a wall length or something that I can transfer and scale into the CAD). Are you going to build the water feature yourself? I have built literally hundreds of these things and will tell you all the tricks and pitfalls to avoid when designing and installing these. They are a piece of cake though, you just need a strong back and a sharp, creative mind. (no weak minds here!)
    PM me and let me know if you can email me a copy of your plan in a BMP or JPEG? I will call you and discuss some of your immediate and long term needs with your family so you can maximize the space accordingly in your design. Hey, I am working on another box of Kings for you. I have about 3/4 of a box so far. Should have that full pretty soon.