Landscape design program

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DGEORGE, Nov 1, 2013.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I better off hand rendering for water features and outdoor kitchens, by the time I can make the program even remotely behave, I have it drawn

2. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

What's the point of modeling a water feature anyways? It's not going to look anything like it, no matter how you draw it... I think most clients would understand that certain parts of the design are purely representative.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TPendagast

Male

What's the point of drawing up any plan or elevation at all?

Why not just hand them a napkin with magic marker marks all over it and say "this is what you are going to pay 65 grand for"

I built a quarter mile long water feature in utah, that looked exactly like the architects aerial view rendering and conceptual elevations.

It really depends on what level and price water feature you are building.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what headz was referring to was a natural-style water feature (pond, streams, etc). I explain to my clients that we never know exactly what that water feature is going to look like till we see the stone coming off the truck.

5. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Thanks Papercutter- that is what I meant. And it's not that I won't do a water feature rendering to help sell the job. But they are so subjective that I would t judge a piece of design software based on this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TPendagast

Male

Ive had an used Pro Landscape since 2001.

I'm not judging it, Im simply point out it's short falls…. all of them have some… the main reason why don't use the other ones, is because I don't like or wouldn't want to deal with their short falls.

I've run the program for 13 years, I think I can comment on pros and cons.

7. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious, are you using the plan drawing functionality of Pro or the photo manipulation thing? I haven't tried it for the CAD side, I'm way too comfortable with AutoCAD to switch and I won't bite on something they won't let me demo first. Plus I have zero interest in the photo editing side.

8. TPendagast

Male

I use plan drawing much much more than the photo rendering.

Ive used the photo rendering about 5 times to sell jobs…
    almost always 24 x 36 ArchD plans.