landscape design software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by de1234, Jan 31, 2006.

1. de1234

de1234 LawnSite Member

What design software does every one out there think is best. Looking for some thing that is user friendly.

2. de1234

de1234 LawnSite Member

Is pro-landscape or dynascape best. I'm looking to use it for our landscape business as well as doing designs in are garden center. I've order dynascape trail. it should be here in a couple days. My landscape designer isn't computer literate so how hard would it be for him to learn.

3. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

I use dynascape. It comes with a dvd tutorial that helps you learn the program and its fairly extensive. I think it took me a couple of days to complete it.

4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Pro landscape 12 has tutorial also.

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

They all have tutorials and if they are CAD based are difficult to learn and master for the 2D plans. Not impossible, but not at all easy. It will take time and practice to get proficient with any software. You also have to realize the software is only a digital pencil and will not help you in designing your projects. The 3D imaging available with some software will make your presentations easier to understand for your clients and usually sell more jobs. The 3D imaging is relatively easy to use if you already know how to design and can design well, otherwise you will get garbage in-garbage out. "Design" software is a large investment in money, time and equipment, make sure it will fit your needs.

I use Pro Landscape version 11 and am quite happy with it. I understand version 12 has been released recently and is an improvement over what I am using. I also realize the limitations and benefits of the software and use it to my advantage. My work involves design, project management and consultation, and that is plenty to keep me busy and use the software to it's potential. I prefer to do my blueprints by hand because of having an overall view of the project that you cannot get in a usable size on a computer screen. With the screen and zooming your project to a workable size you tend to get tunnel vision on the area you are working on and loose sight of the overall project. Linking Pro Landscape to Horticopia is a huge advantage or using it on it's own would be of great benefit. Horticopia is the plant encyclopedia software that helps you decide on what materials to use and gives your clients pictures and/or information about the plants you wish to use in their landscape.

Good design is not about the pretty pictures the computer can print for you, but the knowledge and skills of the designer to meet the clients wants and desires. If you believe software will help you with that, get demos and try them all, but education and good design practice will be what makes the true difference.

Kirk

6. SPLC

SPLC LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I use AutoCAD, but I've had years of experience through highschool and college. As stated above, the designer makes the design successful, not the progam.

Learning AutoCAD isn't that difficult, just takes time. To make a good looking 2-d plan, there is only a handful of functions you need to know.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

To follow up on SPLC's post. "the designer makes the design successful, not the progam".

The same techniques used in hand drafting apply to using drafting software. Things like line weight (thickness) are often overlooked and people just use default settings and get very sterile plans.

Look at landscape hand graphic books to learn how to draw a good plan. What you draw it with does not matter so much.