Landscape design software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnDawg65, Nov 23, 2006.

1. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

I see there are several choices, just curious how do you like them - and were they worth the money. Thanks, Chris

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Just closed a 35K job based highly upon my drafix pro 12 software. And we will finish a 13k job friday due to help from it.

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Drafix Pro 12 is the ONLY way to go!

4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

P.S. I am computer stupid and they have classes I have not done yet.

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Pro Landscape is an excellent choice for the money and will allow you to really help your client understand your concept with it's 3D imaging as well as the plan view. You'd be best to get all the sample software and try them out and determine what your needs will be for your business. The most important thing you must realize about drafting software is that it is just a tool. It will not create designs for you, nor answer all the questions you may have. A good background in horticulture and design is a must, for quality designs, whether hand drawn or using software. Any CAD based software is merely a digital pencil and all the 3D imaging software is a presentation tool. Your skills and talent will reflect in your designs.

In addition to Pro Landscape, I have found Horticopia to be the most valuable research and presentation tool in my design arsenal. It is an excellent plant encyclopedia and is supposed yo be updated shortly with access via the internet. Together these two programs created over 300k of work for the installers that hired my services this past season.

With ant software you chooses, look into training. Cost and location may be a factor, but company training will allow you to gain the full potential of any software you decide on. Don't forget about the cost of a large format printer or numerous trips to the local print shop or Kinkos.

Kirk

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kirk, i bet you have this answer down pat by now.
    Mike

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, I go with what works and makes me money. I attended Pro Landscape Training last weekend, and it has expanded my ability to utilize the features of the program three-fold. As you well know, the 3D imaging is easy and works well to convince a client of your intentions.

Kirk