landscape design

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Nick Carrea, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Nick Carrea

Nick Carrea LawnSite Member

What percentage of the house should the home owner spend on his or her landscape?
  2. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

100% !! And call ME! :D

Seriously, I guess it would depend on the purpose of the landscaping. Do you just want to make it look nice for resale? Do you want to add patios and the like 'cause you throw big parties? :drinkup: Do you have areas that need to be landscaped to make them usable?
    I'm sure someone, somewhere has made up some arbitrary guideline, but the only guideline I would reccomend is that you make sure you spend enough to get exactly what you want.
  3. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I would say for the basics around 5%.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

That would depend on the type of house it is.
    If it is a high falutient part of town and they want a very nice yard. 8-15%
    Typical older neighborhood where a person can actually buy there first house and want it simple so the dogs and kids can play in the back. 1-3%
    percentages are based on selling price of house.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

200K and under usually around 2-6% depending on location and market. Over 200K, anywhere from 6%-?%, including all hardscaping/lighting/water features. There are a few homes here that easily have over 25% in landscape / home value ratio..The more disposable income, the higher the budget and imagination.
  6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Good answer. I would also have to ask the people if they're planning on moving within the next 8 to 10 years. There is quite a few people who have bought a house they intend to live in the rest of their lives. In that case I would have to say it all depends on what will make them happy and whatever is within their budget.
  7. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

We really try and figure out what the person's needs are. If they intend on really being out side alot we might get them to up around 6 to 8 or even 10%. I have found that we land more jobs on people trying to sale their house when we keep the quote down to as little as 1% of their list sales price. But that might just be our area.