Landscape Designer ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ryan91289, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Ryan91289

Ryan91289 LawnSite Member
    from ny

Hi I am 17 and entering my senior year of High School and need to think about college or not. I thought about going for landscape design. What whould you do or where could you get a job for designing landscapes after you graduate. What would you do for a typical work day sit and design on a computer or design work for yourself and then install it. I guess you could do either. Could you get a job for someone? What do you think the salaries are for designers, and do you think it is worth going to college for it? any one that went to college for it or knows about it any info would be appreciated considerinng I may want to do this for a living?

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I graduated with a degree in Landscape and Turf Mangement from Virignia Tech. Additionally worked in the field, multiple companies and now have my own. I am the owner, the designer and the installer. I also work under architects and designers that feed me work. So in turn I can also employee them on jobs too. Yes, go to college but you have options.

If you like let me know and we can talk on the phone.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I currently have 6 different designers I can call on at any given time. One of them does almost all of our design work nowadays. But I still have a relationship with the other 5 and can call on them when I need to.

Only one of them makes what I would call a decent living at it. The rest of them sort of do it on the side or they are already taken care of. That is to say, their husband has a great high-paying job and they can afford to do landscape design because they don't have to do it just for the money. Or others who I know do design, but only do it part time.

If you really want to do it all day, full time, you'd probably want to work for a landscape architect. Otherwise, there are some very large landscaping companies who employ designers on an all-day full time basis. But those are few and far between. And they don't pay all that great. You could maybe make $35,000 a year around here if you worked for one of the big firms doing design all day. That's not a lot, really. Most other majors in college would offer careers that are higher paying.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to get a degree in landscape design/build or landscape technology or landscape construction. Those degrees will encompass design as part of their curriculum anyway. But you'll learn SOO much more. You'll be WAY ahead of the curve when you graduate and start your landscape contracting business. The guys who are my competitors who have a degree in this field have a huge advantage over me. I went to college as a Business major. Which has helped a lot. But if I could go back, I would have gone and got a degree more related to the construction side of the business. The business part is easier to learn, IMO. And you can always hire people to do books and designs.