landscape edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Connie, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Connie

Connie LawnSite Member

Wondering what kind of edging you guys use most? my customers are always saying they don't want the black diamond edging b/c it doesn't last. They want something more stable. Thanks

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

For the most part our clients seem to be happy with us using a trencher to keep the edges neat in the spring when we do their clean-ups. After that its just a matter of using a trimmer to keep them flush and replenishing the mulch as needed.

For those who are gracious enough to invest the dollar, we use scalloped concrete edging, brick, smaller grip stone, flagstone, and then replace the mulch with decorative rock to spruce up their ornamental beds.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

The natural 'V' edges are slowly growing in popularity in my neck of the woods. They still aren't outpaced by the usual black poly stuff, though.

We also use brick edging - easy to mow grass this way.

Kris, I've tried to sell the flagstone-as-edging idea a few times but nobody bites. When you install yours are the pieces of varying sizes, placed so the widest surface is horizontal, leaving a flat, but visually very irregular or rustic look? That's what I picture, but my enthusiasm just can't carry the day when talking to my customers.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

On this subject, was wondering if anyone has used the new paver edging meant for this type of work.

It's a double sided system, that you set a base for just like a regular paver job. It looks like 2 plastic paver restraints tied together, and designed so a 'soldier row' of pavers can be placed in side to form a nice edge/border.

Can't remember the manufacturer off hand, but just figured I'd mention it.

steveair

5. kutnkru

STONE
    Yes they are. We primarily are able to offer this idea only for those who are looking into gripstone to raise their ornamental beds.

There are alot of the older Victorian style homes in the older neighborhoods, and I think that the 'rustic' look as you mentioned compliments these homes so much better than the contemporary wall blocks of today.

It is an incredibly tough sell, but if they bite the results are phenominal in my opinion. Quite often they are no higher than 14-16" but visually they are appealing and blend into the overall landscape quite well.

I think that too often the Landscaper's in our area take the easy road and forget that a landscape is OUR canvas. There are so many elements that are overlooked in the newer sub-divisions that it tends to be heartbreaking at times. What ever happened to color, texture, symatry, patterns.

Oh well, Im blatting now. I hope this has helped to answer some of your questions.

Kris

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

We just had white continuous curbing put in all around our house and down our driveway. It's easy to mow and trim around and it's permanent. It costs $1.90 a foot. We added red mulch, lighting, and bushes. It came out real nice.

7. kutnkru

TJ
    Was that done by one of those curbing machines??
    Kris

8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Kris -

I was thinking more of flagstone that is flush with grade as the bed edging. Could almost (but not quite) serve as a very thin walkway around the bed, with pieces as large as 20" across, as small as 10" across. Mower wheels could ride right on stones.

Ever do that?

9. kutnkru

Yes we have done this in the past also. My personal preference however, is to choose rocks that are irregular in shape so that there is not a uniform border. I have seen it done as you are suggesting as well.

Kris

10. R&GSweeping

R&GSweeping LawnSite Member

TJLC: $1.90 a foot??? I think the national average is $4.00 a foot. I couldn't afford to lay curbing down there. I have a machine here and in our area curbing runs $3.00 to $8.00 a foot depending on how much you lay. I don't see how someone could lay it that cheap. Send your guy up this way and I'll have him enough sub work to wear out his curbing machine. ;) BTW its looks good when its done right doesn't it.

Ron