Landscape Fabric/Weed Barrier

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by egaoton, Jul 20, 2006.

1. egaoton

egaoton LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I am putting together a bid to lay down some landscape fabric. Can anyone help me take off with this? The beds and plants are in place already. The general contractor forgot to tell the original landscaper to install the fabric. Now they need it installed with the plants and bark already in place. Work would consist of raking out bark, laying fabric and putting bark back on. The area is about 17,000 square feet.

My materials is going to be about $1600 for 18,000 sq. ft of fabric and staples. I guess i just have to figure labor, but I am not sure how to bid this out. Thanks in advance for the tips.

Gaoiran

2. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

how much do you want to make an hour for the job, and how many people will be working with you, not seeing any pics maybe around 2k for the job, but 1600 sounds kind of high for that kind of materials

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah , staples are cheap, your spending 1600 really on landscape fabric? 17,000 sq ft is a huge garden though. if it IS that big, id figure 3-4x that for the labor then.

4. egaoton

egaoton LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Sorry, the materials price is going to be less. It should be around $1300 for 18,000 square feet and staples. It is at a commercial building, so there are 8 differnt locations where the fabric needs to be put down. If I get 4-6 of my guys on it, it should go relatively fast, but I have never bid on this type of work before.

Thanks.

5. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

1300 sounds better for the materials, what do you personall wannt to make an hour how much do you pay the guys an hour, gas and all that you just have to add it all up

6. Cornwell

Cornwell LawnSite Member

What do you charge for landscaping? In my part of the country we charge about $35 per hr per person for landscaping plus materials. If you took all day with 5 people at 8 hrs I'd probably figure about $3000. $1400 plus the $1300 or so for materials.

7. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

Not to offer advice that's not wanted, but: Do you really have to lay fabric? I've never seen any variety of it that worked worth a darn, and it's time consuming, expensive stuff to lay down.

If there's anyway you could, apply post-emergent to any of the existing weeds, grass, etc., remove a few days after treatment, and then put down a pre-emergent such as Snapshot. I did this on a project earlier this summer, and it's working great so far...

8. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ the ckid-- the fabric once it starts to come up through the mulch its gonna keep popping up and looking nasty. Most commercial props dont care that you use chemicals to treat weeds. Its definately alot cheaper too.

9. egaoton

egaoton LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Well the architect for the building called for it in the specs, but the general contractor and original landscaper did not install it.

I figured it would take a day and half and I will have to add all my hours, wages and materials for the bid. I appreciated all the help and advice.

Thanks.

10. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Just Did The Same Thing For A Client. She Put Rocks In A Bed In Front Of Her House And Weeds Started Growing Through The Rocks. She Wanted The Rocks Removed And The Fabric Layed Out And Rocks Put Back. I Started The Job And Then Realized She Did Not Have Enough Rocks To Cover The Area After The Weeds Were Removed Not To Mention I Had Way Under Estimated The Time And How Hard It Was To Do. I Convinced Her To Let Me Get The Weeds Out And Spray Round Up At Each Visit. So Far It Has Worked Out Fine.