Landscape Fabric (weedblock)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jnjnlc, Jun 6, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I am in the process of working on a large landscaping project. I am trying to decide whether or not to put down weed block landscape fabric. I have used this before and it is sometimes a pain to cut it and plant or lay it around the already planted plants.

What do you guys think? Do you use it regularly?

Thanks,

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Several of us have already vented on this topic. Please use the SEARCH feature to find the old thread. I really am trying to control my blood pressure :) Hmmmm, can you tell where I stand on using fabric?

3. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Sorry to have hit a nerve. I will do the search.

Thanks

4. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I'M FAIRLY SURE SHE REALLY, REALLY LIKES IT...LOL SORRY LANNELLE BUT I HAD TO DO IT

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

As a youngster, Lanelle was wandering through the landscape store when a display for fabriscape erupted and pinned her under many rolls of 3 oz. fabric for an indeterminate time frame. Ever since , well, you get the idea:p

6. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

Seriously if you need to use it...use the dewitt weed block, it seems to hold up the best.and that plastic crap...is really garbage. I really only use it under decorative stone, mulched beds are better off without it. Besides a mulched bed is a revenue generator, yearly mulch applications, pre-em applications for the beds..much better without fabric.

7. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I have decided to use it and put it down first before planting. I decided to use it because I am pulling out 20 - 30 year old shrubs. The roots seem to go on forever. Everytime I go there I pull up more roots. I am afraid if I do not use the fabric some of the shrubs will return. I could of course spray them as they grow through because I maintain the property as well.

8. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

If they are strong enough to come back from the rootstock then they will punch right through landscape fabric. The fabric is designed to prevent sunlight from reaching weed seeds, any woody perenial will grow through it. If you are worried about the shrubs coming back then you need to use a nonselective systemic like Roundup.

Jim L

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

I AM REALLY SHOCHED THAT SO MANY PEOPLE DONT USE WEED BLOCK. I JUST RECENTLY PICKED UP A LAWN JOB WHERE A MAJOR LANDSCAPING CO. DID ABOUT $40, 000 WORTH OF PLANTING , MULCH, ETC, ITS ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD AND ALREAY WEEDS EVERYWHERE. I ALWAYS USE WEEDBLOCK

10. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Well since I posted my reply last night i have now decided not to use it. Since I maintain the property I have decided that I am responsible if weeds come through. The areas did not have any weeds before I started so it should not be a huge problem. I think I will have more weeds from the mulch than anything and the weedblock would not stop that anyway.

I will come back in a few weeks and post to let you know if I have any weeds. I won't take long if there going to come though the mulch.