Landscape ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Moguy, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

The home owners association where I live had a meeting tonite and asked if I would come up with some ideas for an area where the road curves with long metal guard rails on each side. Of course, this will be on a budget of 3000 or slightly less depending on the dues they recieve from other homeowners. The board members want to keep it natural looking and for whatever reason, they are stuck on using maple trees in the area, which looks out into private land owned by the subdivision. After talking for a while, with such a small budget to work with they decided to call landscape supply stores and tree farms, hoping to get bulk items for a lesser price. They want to do a mulch type walkway around the outside of the guardrails (One side being 340 ft and the other side being 400 ft) or any other cheaper way considering the budget they have to work with. Also, I suggested doing some sort of border between the roadway and the guardrails,which is roughly 10 to 12 inches. The guardrails are also a concern, not having a big budget to work with limits what can be done with them. This will be a 5 year or so project, adding things every year. This won't be work for me personally, since as of right now I only do lawn care and there could be a conflict of intrest. Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated.

2. capital

capital LawnSite Member

run away from it..............$3000 over five years run very fast, do not walk

3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just use cedar mulch considering thats the cheapest, well at least around here. Maybe some holly's or grasses with some maples or weeping cherry trees. Maybe some gold cypress between the road and rail or maybe some perennials, annuals, stone and more mulch??

Jeff

A picture of the area would be helpful.

4. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Sorry, I should have said its 3000 for this year and each year after is the same or more. Thanks for the suggestions NNJLandman and as soon as possible I'll post some pics.

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How wide is the area???

How about naturalizing the area with native wildflowers?? We do this alot...they have mixes which bloom from spring to fall. Only maintenance is cutting them down each fall. Its not that cheap though, 1 lb of seed is $32.00.....but it goea along way.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

5 year projcect................take it one step at a time.

Trees on one side with mulch, other side following year..................after that add more trees.........................then consider the space between them

As far as space between road and guard rail. Mulch, doing that anyway.

7. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Appreciate the ideas guys, I was also wondering on the metal guardrails, will Ivy grow well on metal? Other than ornamental grasses in front of the guardrails, Ivy was all I could think of. A few members mentioned painting them instead but, it didnt really appeal to me since it will chip or flake off.

8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

<i>I was also wondering on the metal guardrails, will Ivy grow well on metal?</i>
    Yes,ivy will grow on metal,but you need to check the legality of having it run on a
    barrier.If it's in a turn in the road like you say,then I assume it has reflectors on it to warn motorists that there is a bend in the roadway there(?)
    Just a thought....:)

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Your location states that you are in the Midwest. I assume you get snow and the roads may be salted. Nothing is going to live between the guardrail and the road. Salt and road grime will ruin the soil in that area. Also, anything close to the road, even behind the guardrails will take a beating.