Landscape install 2 for 1!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nlminc, Apr 9, 2008.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I went out last Friday to meet with a prospective customer. We discussed his needs and I told him I would work on a bid over the weekend and have it to him by Wednesday. Not a big job. Just a little landscaping on the side of his house and around the back deck along the foundation type of thing.

Here's the email I received yesterday!

What's this industry coming too? If he's not BS'n me...

Chris,
    I wanted to let you know that we have chosen another company to do our landscaping. We were on a time crunch and couldn't wait any longer. Plus, they offered a buy one get one free deal that we couldn't pass up. That was the main factor that we used to choose them.
    Thanks for coming out and I will pass your information along to anyone I hear looking for landscaping work.
    Thanks,
    David

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Now that's low! The sad thing is there's people out there doing that all the time. They have no respect for others.

3. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

So if they buy a $200 tree they'll add one for free?

4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

They probably didn't mention this time crunch to you either, their loss not yours.

5. takeittothelimit

takeittothelimit LawnSite Member

sounds odd...........Why pass your info on, and not the 2 for 1 landscapers.

6. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Atleast he had the decency to get back to you and let you know. I have lost count of people I have visited done design and quotes and never heard from them again.

7. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Well, I sent him an email thanking him for letting me know. I asked who was running that "special" and he did reply with the name of the areas high end nursery! I checked their web site and sure enough....there's a 2 for 1 sale. No prices are listed and this place is known for having high prices, but most nurseries are seriously struggling in my area due to the drought so....

8. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

One year I got a call on a Saturday morning requesting a quote on an irrigation system. I measured it that afternoon. 8:00 Monday morning I stopped back with the bid, and my competitor was already pulling pipe. I was just glad that I had enough work that I couldn't get there that fast if he had waited for our bid.

9. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

those 2 for 1 jobs get you everytime :dizzy:...... i wonder what a 2 for 1 job looks like