1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Landscape Installation Deposit Percentage??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Slcareco, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I was wondering what the range of deposit percentage of the total cost of a job is?? 25-50%

I have a job for 87,000 so I want to know whats reasonable and dont say just what covers cost.... I need a % thats the normal.... thanks..

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

On residential contracts, I get 50% deposit; for commercial -- 33%. Some states have a set limit on deposit percentages.

3. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

thats what I figured, thanks for the quick response

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

We get 50% down, 50 on completion, (residential). But then I've never had a 87,000 job, so congratulations.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your state laws. Some do not allow a 50% deposit.

6. Lyon Landscaping

Lyon Landscaping LawnSite Member

CA is 10% of the job or $1,000 - whichever is less for the down payment. That is the law. Once the job starts then it is fair game to get more based on a pay schedule agreed upon or however else you have it in the contract.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

At 85K, I would request a 25% deposit and then take a weekly payments until the project is completed.

How long do you expect it to take. At 85k, average sized business, I would assume (stress the word assume) that it will take at least 4 weeks.

8. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah for me I would want 33% up front and that shoud get you going then make draws based on completed work after that.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

You need to have a signed payment scedule, stating that no work will resume untill payments have been made.

10. land_scaper70

land_scaper70 LawnSite Member

I would like to see what a $87,000 job looks like, unless it is just mulch around a shopping mall? Anyhow, 1/3 the total cost sound about right.