Landscape Installs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guido, Jun 16, 2000.

1. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Today at work I had a problem with something one of the guys on my crew was doing and I thought it would be a good tip for some of the new guys. In a huge field we use for deployment exercises we had to install a ton of 3' tall 4x4's to mount electrical boxes and water spickets on. The ground was marked where they were to be installed but the engineers told us we had 3' of play if we had to move them (in case of rocks, etc.) Well the way the last row of 30 were set up, they would have been only about 3' from the edge of a street lined with jersey barriers. Well they already augered about 5 holes by the time I got out there, but I stopped them. I thought abuot it for a second and remembered when I saw the contractors mowing that field they had a 61&quot; Lazer Z. They wouldn't be able to fit between the posts and the barriers so it would be some serious time with a trimmer once a week. I explained this to the guys on the crew, and of course I heard &quot;who gives a ****?? We don't cut the grass here!&quot; I guess I didn't have to go out of my way for someone elses ease of mowing but I wanted to post it here because maybe someone would learn something. When doing any kind of install or drainage work, walls, sidewalks, etc on a property (ESPECIALLY ONE YOU MAINTAIN!!) think of the maintenance side of the equation while your in the design process. Maybe it will take a little longer on the install, but it will save you the time in maintenance. Well I'm tired and babling so I hope so of that made sense!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

2. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

guido,<br>I agree whole-heartedly with you. I try to always think of how my design may affect the maintenance aspect of it. It is also something that makes the client aware that you are a concerned contractor who is aware of the many obstacles that go into landscape maintenance. I love to use elaborate curves in my bed designs. The important thing to think of here is can the mowers make these cuts and fit into these places. Much like guido thought. Good heads up. If everyone thought like this it would eventually make things easier for all of us.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

3. The worst bozos are the fence contractors.<p>They will fence in an acre with a 36&quot; gate for egress.

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I never really thought about just how considerate I am about this issue. There's been quite a few times that I've adjusted customer's projects to allow for 48&quot; clearance for their maintenance contractor or my mowers. As far as the gates go- another contractor that I talked to one time told me that if he wants a certain account with a small gate- he offers to change it. He said 90% of the time the customer was already wishing for a larger gate & was thrilled with the idea. He said he got the customer to pay for the materials and he would take one of his guys and change the gate in usually about an hour. Great happy new customer for 2 man hours of effort. Seemed like a great idea to me.

5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about the next guy; guess it's all those days in boy scouts & sunday school. What irks me is the ever increasing mentality of your worker-&quot;who gives a crap?&quot; That is the kind you DON&quot;T want as a foreman.<br>I always offer same deal with customers & their pathetic small fence gates, but I guess they're all tightwads here. So I turn alot of them down after that, cuz I'm not spending 30 min. with a push mower in someones back yard!<br>If everyone took the extra 5 min. (charge your customer for the extra time if you have to) to do things smarter & helped the other guy out, life would be so much easier, & I'd give a lower bid if I can zip thru something with EZ acess. KEEP IT UP!<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>