Landscape license

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 27, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I'm considering venturing out into small landscape projects to upsale to my customers. At what point to I need to be certified or landscape lisenced? Do I even need one?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

if you are serious about doing it, you need to take it serious too. One of the 1st things you should do it get legal with a license and insurance. It definitely looks better on your part and tells your clients that you are serious about what you do, not just some blow by company.

3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Like said above a business license and proper insurance is a must from day one. As far as a specific landscape license/certification most states do not require one like they do for say plumbers, electricians, contractors, barbers..... But some states do require you have a contractors license for installing plants, beds, mulch, as you are changing the appearance of the house. Also you will need a pest lic/cert to apply any pesticides, which does include roundup and weed-n-feeds

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

thanks. I'm a mowing and application company. I carry all the insurance and liscenses for this. I was thinking about branching out into small landscape jobs since I see a need for it. Most landscape companies get big and don't want to mess with the 2-3k jobs when they can bid on 10k+ jobs.

5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

You may need a live plant dealer license if you want to buy wholesale from nurseries.

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

My Advice :
    Visit this site and become certified
    North Carolina Nursery & Landscape Association :: Certification
    http://www.ncnla.com/events-certification.php

:)