Landscape Lighting Choice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by woodwardschris, Jan 20, 2014.

1. woodwardschris

woodwardschris LawnSite Member

I am a Hardscape materials distributor in Southeastern PA offering EP Henry, Techo Bloc and CST and I am currently looking for a line of landscape lighting. I put this in the Hardscape forum as that is the type of customer I usually deal with.

I figure my best choices are Kitchler, Focus or Unique...I can't sell Unique as I am too close to another dealer, so I am looking for feedback on Kitchler and Focus. Initial investment to become a distributor is significant, so any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris.

(We already sell Integral under cap lights, so I am very familiar with them)

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I use vista. Their reps are a tremendous help.

They actually drove 3 hours and spent the day with me going to various customers
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

What is the name of your company, doing a job there in a few weeks for a relative.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use almost exclusively CAST LED lights.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. OSdb

OSdb LawnSite Member

I use Vista as well.

7. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

Check out I lighting, http://www.ilighting.co/ its the easiest and most affordable LED system on the market! Its an easy up-sale for my company never have to splice a wire and you plug the transformer to an outlet. it runs on DC

8. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Vista or Focus. Used a good amount of Kichler to know that I don't like it and that some if it is rather cheaply made Chinese junk. Vista is now my preferred brand of lighting.

9. woodwardschris

woodwardschris LawnSite Member

DVS, we are Woodward Landscape Supply. Number here is 610-983-9810. We are open six days a week all year.

Thanks for all the responses, quite a bit to choose from...anyone use VOLT?

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Kichler is a great co. to deal with as both a contractor as well as a distributor. They have made huge gains in market share over the last 5 years and continue to lead the way in a lot of technologies in the LED market, which pretty much IS the market these days. It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Kichler. I was a convert about 3-4 years ago. Used to be a huge Unique and FXL fan before. But since I've switched, I've been extremely happy with their product, almost zero failure rate, customer support, trianing and amazing warranty. We purchased over $100k of Kichler product in 2013 and should do even more this year. I wouldn't buy that much if it wasn't great stuff. Their LED fixtures, especially the generation 2 stuff that just came out in 2013, are just awesome.

I haven't been too impressed with Focus. The quality doesn't seem to be there. If you're looking for another line to carry, FX Luminaire would be a better choice than Focus. CAST is also very good, as some have mentioned.

Not as many use Volt. I won't get too much into why. There's a huge thread on why in the lighting forum if you care to read it. It's sort of a controversial topic. But you won't find many distributors carrying Volt. Distributors don't like it for the same reasons a lot of contractors don't like it. They are more of a internet-direct-order seller.

I love lighting. Just finished another lighting job today. It's a passion of mine. If you want to discuss this more, PM me anytime.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014