1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

landscape lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by cleancutsolutions, Sep 30, 2013.

1. cleancutsolutions

cleancutsolutions LawnSite Member

What's a good quality dependable low volt landscape lighting brand?
  2. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

There are numerous major manufacturers in the LVL market. A few include FX Luminaire, Unique, CAST, Kichler, Hadco, Coppermoon, Troy, Focus, Allliance, Aurora, Integral, and many others. I prefer to pick and choose the best products from each manufacturer.
  3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I think the first four brands that Classic Lighting mentioned are my favorites. To me, local availability makes a big difference. Simply because if I'm doing a lighting job and a client says, "Wow! This is awesome! But I think I need 2 more pathway lights over there and 1 more accent light on this tree. Can you add that?" then I can say, "You bet. I'll go get one tomorrow morning and have it installed for you tomorrow!" I don't have to wait for a week or two for something to arrive.
  4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Unless it's not in stock and has to be ordered- which happens very frequently at my distributors.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. But I buy a crap load of lighting from my local distributor. And in return, I ask them to keep a stock of every fixture that I use regularly. It's a lot of fixtures. But they're willing to do it. So typically what I need is in stock, unless it's 12 of something. I always place orders for the install job a week or two ahead of time. But for the extras/add-ons, I just go pick them up.
  6. Wbcousins

Wbcousins LawnSite Member

I prefer VOLT their products look better (in my opinion) and are 2/3 the cost of most of these other distributors. Where I'm from the big factor is the price, their are not enough customers who can afford to shell out that kind of money for lights so I need an affordable solution order to get more customers.
  7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Wbcousins, i see you are from PEI, welcome to the forum; its always nice to hear from more Canadians here!

I would strongly encourage you to do some research about the importance of appropriate electrical safety/inspection listings. If PEI is anything like Ontario (and most US States for that matter), it is illegal for a contractor to install any unlisted or inappropriately listed electrical products. By doing so you are opening yourself up to the risk of being charged a fine by your electrical safety authority, or worse in the case of any accident, product failure or mishap.

There are a number of 'manufacturers' out there who are importing lighting fixtures from offshore factories and not submitting them to the trouble and expense of being appropriately listed. This is one way they are able to offer their products for seemingly low cost. All it does is put you and your business at greater risk, which is in my opinion, not a very good value proposition at all. (Besides that, it is against the law.)

Always look for one of the following electrical listings on any products that you install: cETL, cUL, CSA, cMET, cTUVus. Here is a link for more information: http://www.esasafe.com/consumers/productsafety/marks