Landscape lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Brett McKechnie, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Brett McKechnie

Brett McKechnie LawnSite Member

I am starting a landscape lighting company in the Mass. area. I would like to know if any of you think there is a need for this service or not and what the obsticals are to being successful at it.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

The only obstacle that I can think of is that you may need to be a licensed electrician. Outdoor lighting sure wakes up a landscape and provides a level of security. I do some repair, mostly changing out fixtures that go bad. Good luck with your venture!

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Brett,

Good luck with your new venture. You never know what you may find until you try it :)

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Brett,

You might want to give Shemins Nursery in Shrewsbury a call. Last year they had a lighting seminar in March. They might be able to tell you what you do and do not need to be licensed for.

One thing to be concerned with is that a number of towns are starting to regulate "light pollution". Sometimes neighbors do not like the extra light.

I think you are in a good market. That area had more landscapers per capita than any area I have ever seen about 20 years ago. I used to work for Gold Star/Seasons Four/ Christmas City.

I would check with the local building departments. Good luck.

Andrew