Landscape Lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by landscaper3, Nov 13, 2000.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure this subject has been touched on before but was wondering how profitable night landscape lighting is. We are a 90% lawn maintenance company that would like to bring in another type of service we can offer. I did my own home and came out nice but really dont know how to market this type of service. Please give me some information on this subject if you do lighting or did lighting. Thank you.

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

This is one market I wish I got into earlier in my career. The benefits are numerous to the customer not to mention that it adds more living space at night for those who entertain. Ive been doing lighting for 2 seasons now and have had lots of compliments and have felt a greater sense of achievement. The cutting gets a bit nerving in the heat. As far as pricing goes I have charged 2.5 or 3x the materials (same as landscaping) for jobs. Labor is time consuming yet very easy (cut, splice, twist then cap and bury). There are so many different companies out there but I mainly deal with http://www.nightscaping.com. They stand by their products, are very helpful w/ tech. support and give a guarantee with their fixtures. Not to mention that they are willing to train you. They are in Calif. but other supply companies here in NJ carry their brand and I can get them quicker and cheaper. BONUS. If you need any more info feel free to e-mail me.

3. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of money to be made in Landscape Lighting. We have been doing it for the last three years. We only install Vista and Kitchler lights. The cost of these systems make it so that the clientele is usuall commercial or upscale residential. Once you get in the door to do a light system more work is usually to follow. I do all the customer meetings and design work myself. When it comes to installation is usually takes one that knows what they are doing and one to run the wires through the beds and under walks and drives. I have done enough systems that I can pretty much guess how long it will take me to do it. I always charge material plus about 12% and labor at $40.00 per man hour. There is quite a bit of time going into the planning of a system (figuring voltage drops, etc.) You can make quite a bit of money. Just be advertising and let all of your customers know that you do it.

4. landscaper3

I was hoping to get more than 2 replys. But thank to you that have posted.

5. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Landscaper3:
    I have no experience in this field except the one job that got away. A prominant doctor in our town wanted me to do this and I basicly calculated the job and added $500.00 profit for what amounted to a day's work. I bought all the lighting but was so busy that I never had time to do the install and then the good doctor announced he was moving to Florida so that was the end of that job but he would pay for my expense. I really wanted to light up my own yard so I never accepted the offer and I plan to install the lighting at my house as soon as the mowing season is over.
    I regret not getting to dabble on this side of the biz and the doc didn't even flinch at my price, even said I was too cheap. So I will practice in my own yard for now. 2 weeks ago I installed an invisible dog fence around my own yard and now I feel like I a pro. Scary isn't it.

6. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Landscaper3

Let me know if there are any other questions you might have

7. landscaper3

Thank you all for your responses!

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do you need anything special to be able to do these type of installations? Certifications, permits etc.?

9. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

There was an interesting thread on gardenweb about lighting in the landscape design forum. They mentioned a couple books there. Also some guy that sounds very familiar like the plowgod on Lawnsites plow forum(full of himself)very entertaining

10. landscaper3

No speacial reqiurments here (65HOSS) all low voltage lighting. But until I get my electrical apprentace licence I will have to sub-contract out if a ouside outlet is to be installed.