1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

landscape lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdmowerman, May 24, 2004.

1. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

got a call today from a lady looking for landscape lighting. i really want to get into this type of work. (lighting, patios, pavers)

are there any web sites anyone knows of i could look at to learn about placement of lights.

how should i price this job.

there wil be only 3-7 lights total. i havent meet w. the lady, just the guy and they were gonna talk it over and im gonna catch up w. them later about how many they want. they run a painting and design company, so id like to think they have a decent idea about how it should look, as far as stuff being balanced and what not.

so basically im looking for a crash course on landscape lighting.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact Vista or Kichler and see who supplies their stuff in your area. Chances are that the supplier has someone knowledgeable in that area and can design a system for you.

Once you do a couple or three, you will have a good idea of what needs to happen and will be able to do most of the design work yourself.

As for pricing, that's up to you. I would recommend a high quality fixture and transformer such as Vista or Kichler though, not some cheap Wal-Mart/Lowes/Home Depot/etc version.

Vista's URL is http://www.vistapro.com I don't know what Kichler's is, sorry.

4. hickory

hickory LawnSite Member

In CT you have to have a L5 License for low voltage work in order to hook up the transformer. I'm not talking about just plugging it in to a 120 line I'm talking about the secondary runs off the transformer. You need 4000 hours of apprentice work and take a test. Rediculous.
  5. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

Need licencse in MD too.
  6. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Not that I don't believe you but where did you hear that? The local electricians must be lovin that!
  7. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Dang, Team Gopher is on the ball again as usuall with the helping hand.
  8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I went to a Cast Lighting seminar man is thta easy fast money. Look into the Cast product line its great.
  9. hickory

hickory LawnSite Member

10. arosewag

arosewag LawnSite Member

what license is required in maryland?