1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landscape Management Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Adam McCoy, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Adam McCoy

Adam McCoy LawnSite Member

I am a student at University of Tennessee at Martin. I am a Landscape Design major. I have a mid-term due in a Landscape Management class, my question involves tree and shrub management. The question in the paper is, as a landscape manager I have come across a job where the area is suffering from unknown non-infectious tree problems. After making a visit to the site I have to come up with the solution within 30 days.
    Any personal insites or hints that would be of help to me I would appeciate it very much.
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's a tough problem, send tissue samples to the local extension agent. (If you are allowed.)
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget soil samples along with the tissue samples. Non infectious blight can rule out many pathogenic microbial but not toxic soils from chemicals. Always remember trees are broad leaves and select turf herbicides attack broad leaves. Turf is a monocot and trees are dicote so turf will not be blighted by the same chemicals.

You state that you are student and this is a midterm exam, not the real thing. I have seen the broad leave herbicide on trees question myself on exams. So do us a favor and let us know what the prof is looking for. Oh and if he ask what you can do about broad leave herbicide on trees. 90% chance a chain saw will solve the problem depending on how bad it is. This is a real life problem.