Landscape Paint

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TheLawnShark, May 8, 2008.

1. TheLawnShark

TheLawnShark LawnSite Member

What do you guys use when creating a new bed? I usually just get the brown bed out and eyeball it using my original drawings but on lengthier beds and more complex designs it gets rather difficult. I wouldn't think you all use spray paint or something to mark the new bed but I don't know. Thanks

2. slawn

slawn LawnSite Senior Member

Marking paint, same thing they use to mark phone lines and such. You can pick it up at any building supply store.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I'll place some wood stakes (like large popsicle sticks) to mark the bed outline then play connect the dots with turf marking paint. Call me lazy but I like to use a marking gun rather than bending over with the paint can.

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

Marking paint, with the inverted tip sprayer. just flip it over and shoot the spray down. Works great, and is not permanent.

5. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Depending on how intricate the layout and design are, I have been known to use paint.

Just one color, though. I am not an artist.

6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also use the garden hose or sometimes we use our lowering line we use for tree work if we forget the paint. With the hose or rope we can show the client how it will look or make changes before we cut the bed out.

7. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

8. TheLawnShark

TheLawnShark LawnSite Member

I apprecaite all the input. It looks like the marking paint will be the way to go. I see the city using it all the time to mark the sewer lines, phone lines, gas lines, etc. Thanks again guys.

9. brownings

brownings LawnSite Member

garden hose works for me

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

One of the first tools every landscaper should have is a marking wand, like this;

[​IMG]

But take the little wheel off. Those are for girls.

Use white paint. One, it stands out more than the others. Two, most of the other bright colors are for utilities; yellow=gas, orange=phone/cable red=power, etc. Don't want to confuse things. White is standard for marking new stuff to be added.

I have 2 in my pickup and always a case of white marking paint too. I use this thing 5x or more every week. I even use them when giving estimates just to paint out how the patio or bed or lawn would look.

One other tidbit - these don't seem to work in really dry climates. Here in Oregon, marking paint sticks to the ground like white on rice. But I went to AZ last year to do a huge job and I couldn't get the stuff to stick to their soil no matter how hard I tried. The top of the soil was just too dusty. So if you live in that kind of climate, you can't really use these.