Landscape Plan Opinion?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kdlklm, Apr 20, 2004.

1. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I'm looking for an opinion on my landscape plan. I have two areas that I have laid out in AutoCAD, the end of my driveway which has a gradual slope towards the grass, and the fire pit area behind my house. I'm curious about what people think about my choice of shrubs. I am located in a zone 3 area. With very harsh winters.

landscape-scale.jpg

2. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

second photo of fire pit area

landscape-scale2.jpg

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

It looks very nice. I might caution you about the Alberta Spruces and the Dogwoods. The spruces look very nice when they are just planted , but after about 5 years they start to get fat around the middle and unshapely, much like humans in middle age.
    In my area the dogwoods are very temperamental and have to be placed in a protected area.
    Is AutoCad a design program that you can purchase? If so reply with info. Thanks.

4. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Thanks for your feedback, AutoCAD is a drafting software, not specifically designed for landscape architecture, but does work very well. But it is expensive. What would you recommend other than dogwoods.

Www.Autodesk.com

5. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Instead of Dogwoods, how about a Cherry or Crape Myrtle or Wax Myrtle?

6. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hmmm.... scratch the Wax Myrtle.

7. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

How about a Paper Bark Maple or Flowering Crabapple?

8. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I don't want anything that is over five feet.

9. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

THen go with the crepe myrtle. You can pollard them at whatever height you want them within reason.

10. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

I think he will have a very hard time growing a Crape Myrtle in Zone 3.......just a wee bit too far north.:D