1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landscape rates???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dugann, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

Small town SW Arkansas population 6K. We do lawn maintenance already and property clean up. Our rate is $20.00 a hour, and $25.00 if we have to use chain saw, DR brush mower, or other special equipment.

We are getting more and more land scape jobs. IE mulch, planting, rock work, fertilization, etc. I was thinking of the same base rate $20.00 a hour and mark up + mileage on anything I have to go buy. What do you guys in landscaping do? Just keep in mind this is a lower income area so I know the standard of living is different in SW Arkansas compared to Denver etc.

Thanks in advance.
  2. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

triple your price.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Are you Licensed and Insured? At the rate your charging, maybe I can hire you to do all my work! $20 a hr is chump change for GOOD landscaping design/work. Are you offering that?
  4. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

I am insured with 1,000,000. I am not offering land scape design. Just work maybe maintenance is better word. we have built some flower beds, really nice one if I do say so my self that the individuals wanted done. Small scale nothing huge. Weeding, new mulch, hedges/shrub, planting etc. Still too low for that sort of work???
  5. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Insured, workers comp, pay taxes? If yes, your WAY underpriced.
  6. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

yes I am insured, I do pay workers comp, and taxes. I have 1 employee besides my self. I am starting to feel like I have been making a huge mistake in priceing even for a small town in a very poor region of the country.
  7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, that is low. Not sure what your overhead is but that seems horribll low.

I am at least triple that per hour- and after operating costs (fuel, taxes, salary [sometimes...], insurance, self-employment tax, pesticide app fees, DOT fees, etc etc etc etc... blah blah blah I could go on all day), I think the profit from my labor is like 4 bucks an hour! hahah.
  8. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

Think I am going to cry:p I need a beer hehe.
  9. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

The average in middle TN. is 35-45 pending the area.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

the cost of living dont get much lower than it is around here and i charge alot more than that. it costs me almost that much for an employee when you ad up all the expenses.