landscape removal?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Commander, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Commander

Commander Banned

I am going to send in a bid for the second stage of a large landscape project for this year. I am going to have to remove from the site; about (7) 20 - 25 year old azaleas, a 200 - 250 foot long row of 7' tall mountain laurels, a small ornamental cherry tree, a flowering shrub about 8 foot tall, a cord of rotten wood, a pile of small stumps / leaves / compost / chips which would fill 2 triaxles, a couple of overgrown wild rose bushes, 3 burning bushes about 7 feet tall, a holly tree about 30 years old, a few other ornamental plantings, and thats about it. Most of these plants are located, except for the mountain laurels within close proximity to a house / garage. How would you guys price this? Thanx for any help you can provide.

2. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

:D That's a hard one to price as I'm sure I'd eat my profit up trying to save most of the shrubs and trees so I could plant them later via my FEL on the tractor by digging around them with a shovel and merely lifting them out w/the FEL. In any event just charge aroung $90 an hour or whatever your going rate is.:angel:

3. Commander

Commander Banned

There are 45 mountain laurels. I was figuring on possibly renting a backhoe. Any thoughts?

4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I'd definately rent some type of backhoe or something that can dig it out, then you could probably use the backhoe to rip the stuff out. Whatever you do I'd charge A LOT for that, that is a LOT of work.

Hank

5. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I love tear outs where I can get the mini track excavator into them. Take the truck, roots, etc. all at once. Only problem is that you tend to take more than you would if you were doing it by hand. This is a great way to take ground cover, stumps, bushes, trees, etc.

An excavator can get close to the house. If you want to condense your hauling of materials, cut down all the woody material by chainsaw and chip it (rent a chipper for four hours). Then use the excavator to stump out everything. You can "tickle" the soil too for roots through the bed areas and turn really compacted soil at the same time. Makes bed prep a breeze - and you're doing it all by machine.

Figure a day for cutting down trees, bushes, etc, and chipping, if not less than a day. Start excavating the first day if possible. Second day start hauling all the stumps.

Two day job like this with three guys might be a $4 to $5,000 job for labor, equipment and hauling.