landscape rock cleaning

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rock cleaner, Oct 3, 2007.

1. rock cleaner

rock cleaner LawnSite Member

looking for process or best practices in cleaning landscape rock.

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you mean removing debris from gravel or do you mean something like mortar off of boulders?

3. rock cleaner

rock cleaner LawnSite Member

removing debris (dirt) from decorative landscape rock wherein weeds grow. the stone 3/4 to 2-3/4 inch used as a ground cover.

4. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Load all the rock in a dump truck, take somewhere to dump. On the return trip stop at your landscape supply shop and buy new rock.

Or you could take it out and wash it down, you'll only do it once.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

wash it down in your dump bed. The debris should go to the bottom.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You guys, this guy has a serious question. Cleaning landscape rocks is a tricky thing. If you try to pressure wash, rocks go flying all over the place. To much work in trying to clear out the bed, wash all rocks, then replace them. Really not much you can do beside redoing the entire thing. I have tried pressure washing stones before, and it work pretty good, but like I stated in the above rocks flew all over the place. Good luck

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know anyone who is going to take up 2-3/4" stone, wash it, and put it back.

I used to do grounds keeping at a lumber mill where there was large stone like that in the planting beds around the scales where they weighed in the log trucks. I cleaned that first by blasting it with a very potent back pack blower. Then it was raking and picking the stone to get it on top of the crap. It sucked and it took a long time, but I was an employee that was going to be doing that or something else that sucked. I'm not sure anyone would have been thrilled to pay a contractor labor rates to do it, but it worked.

Are you doing this for yourself or are you billing for it?

8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Spray the rocks down with weedkiller and you won't have to worry about it.

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

seriously. Take a garden hose & wash all the junk to the bottom. You'll have to do it again the further down you go because the debris won't get all the way to the bottom in one shot.

10. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

thats ridiculous....... i would stay away from customers like that :laugh: