Landscape Software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rick w, Feb 28, 2006.

1. rick w

rick w LawnSite Member
    from 8

Has anyone used or recommend a good landscape design software package for a company that only does a couple installs a year, that can't justify $1200.00 at this time.

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Partner up with a landscape designer. If you are only doing a few installs a season and you are not a designer, get someone that is. They can help you do better work, increase the size and scope of your jobs and very likely land more of the work you would like to do. Landscape software does not help you design, but it is a presentation tool in the 3D imaging mode and helps those that don't draw well in plan mode. Treat design as any other service you are unable to do well or profitably. When in doubt, sub it out. If you are able to design, just use vellum and pencils. A hand drawn plan, if drawn well, is a piece of artwork.

I have researched and tried many software programs, and unfortunately for your needs, have found the $1300 Pro landscape to be the best and most useful for presentation and ease of use. The office store programs belong on homeowners computers, not used by professionals for presentations.

Kirk

3. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

I agree with Kirk. If you do not know plants and are not a designer, you need to hire a professional who will help not only do the design, but present the design and get the job sold. However, if you want to do it yourself and you want cheap........draw it yourself. That is how designers learn from the beginning. Remember, computer programs do not help you design. If you don't know plants, spacing, foliage, flowering, soil, sun requirements a program is not going to tell you what, where and how to place. It is only meant to help with digital drawing.

4. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

I Have Been Using Total 3d Landscape Deluxe 2005 By Individual Software 35.00 My Residential Customers Are Really Impressed To See There Home With New Yard Onpaper I Do Not Think My Customers Would Be Impressed With Those Drawings My Customers Are Considered Poor