landscape software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sweatdog20, Feb 19, 2002.

1. sweatdog20

sweatdog20 LawnSite Member

I need some really good landscape design software

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I am about a week away from buying DIG (Design Imaging Group). There site is their name + .com . Some others that are being used a lot are Pro Landscape by Drafix, Landscape Illustrator, Dynascape Pro, and Earthscapes (my second choice). Most price range from $600.00 - $1300.00 or so.

3. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

i just bought DIG the other day and got it today. i'll let you know how it works out..

joe

4. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

I just got "GROWIT Gold Works." I'm sure its not as good as the others mentioned but it is comparitively inexpensive ($100.00)and pretty easy to use. I think it's great software for beginners... Just my opinion.

5. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I've never used the design software, but it must be easier than doing drawings by hand. I have no idea what they are like and I hope you guys shed some light on this for me. I do have one legitimate question though.
    Do you guys think that if two guys presented bids, one being a computer printout and the other being a drawing which one would the customer pick? What would they think? Anyone can push a button on a computer? Or, the guy who gave me the drawing sure did put some time and effort into that?
    The design software has got to be really good for those prices. I really don't know, that's why I'm asking. Please don't take any of this the wrong way. If the software is good, I may switch.:blush:

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Regardless of the method used, a good design is a good design and a poorly thought out design is still poor. A drafted scaled plan will show placement and relationships of elements, but not much about the visual characteristics of the trees, shrubs, walls or whatever is proposed. For that part, you need some sort of 'show and tell'. The photo-imaging program does a nice job of showing people what the finished project will look like if it is done well. It has a nice 'wow' factor that can help you close the sale. If the customer is good at envisioning what is being proposed, walking through the nursery may be fine. For others, it takes more.

7. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Bought DIG software today for $499.00 at the NJ trade show...
    includes:
    Designware
    Planscape
    Landquote
    Designware at nite

Reg cost was $750.00
    Show was $499.00

Couldn't pass it up:D

8. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I recieved my DIG software the other day.. I am very happy with the program. It is missing just a few major shrubs I use but overall I am pleased..

9. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

For those missing shrubs, you can create your own custom library. Take a good photo (that you will be proud to use) of each shrub. Scan and import it. Use the tutorial to learn how to cut it out of the background picture and save it in your own library file. It's pretty easy after you've done it twice. Also, sometimes you can tweek an existing picture to 'become' the desired shrub by changing the color of the foliage and changing the shape a bit. Once you know how to do it, you can have fun with other photos. :D